What to do for a constipated Cat?

I noticed today that my 7 year old cat is constipated for the first time. I read online to give him 1/4 tsp fiber, but I dont want him to die from human medication. So I opted out of giving him that. What else can I do for him? something a little more safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Canned food. Add a few drops of mineral oil to it each morning.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Fish oil everyday in it's food. Also Salmon skin from cooked salmon helps, mix with favorite foods in small pieces. Mayonaise will work too.
    But, you should try a bit of Milk of Magnesia first to be sure that the blocked bowel is entirely free and that the diarrhea is not just liquid stool going around the large lump of stool stuck in it's bowel causing a total block and causing the intestine to die and eventually to kill your beloved pet slowly, it's horrible.
    Hundrey

Answer by Hundrey at 1:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2009