How to deal with Severe Morning Sickness

My sister is pregnant with her second child and is suffering from Severe morning sickness resulting in weight loss and dehydration. I have been looking into any option she can do to help with it. I have looked into Aromatherapy but don't know to much about it. Anything that you guys could recommend would be great I really want to help her get through this with as little discomfort as possible. Its the big sister in me!

Tia07

Asked by Tia07 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ginger tea
    chamomile tea
    licorice tea
    sea sickness wrist bands

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If she's having weight loss and dehydration her doctor needs to know. If it goes on long enough she could end up in the hospital on an iv. I tried tea, ginger candy, etc. nothing worked until my doctor put me on Zofran, well actually the generic. Since your sister seems to have such a severe case I'd still recommend calling her doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• She actually has been to the hospital twice for it already. They have her on some medicine and have put IVs into her but she still does not seem to be able to keep stuff down.
    Tia07

Answer by Tia07 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have heard about the Zofran and that it works wonders...I used the Seabands...I SWEAR by them I love them I am 7 Months and I use them whenever I am feel sic and they WORK!! best of luck
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 12:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My sister also had this problem, no anti nausea meds worked for her, it turned out it was because she has undignoised  gall stones (which are common in pregnancy) I would talk to her about getting her gal bladder checked out, chances are that's not the case, but if it was, its easily treated and stopped ALL of my sisters gal stones! Good luck big sis!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• stopped all my sisters Gal stones AND nausea- sorry! lol

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I heard that the preggie pops that they sell at Motherhood Maternity are really good. I spoke with a worker there who told me that a woman comes in to buy them for her father who is on chemo, and it really helps him not get sick after his chemo treatments.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Many studies have found that women with morning sickness improve dramatically after taking daily B6 supplements. The logical connection is fairly easy to track down; it all has to do with how vitamin B6 is involved in maintaining normal blood glucose levels.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/note.php?note_id=125476444975&id=60905865740&ref=mf

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When I had HORRID morning sickness, I bought those red and white striped round candies--I THINK they call them peppermint wheels? Not sure. They are made out of the SAME THING as candy canes, only they are round. The mint is a NATURAL anti-nausea agent! They ALWAYS helped the nausea to subside!! A friend of mine used the preggy-pops (lollipops), and said they REALLY helped her A LOT!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOUR SISTER!! I hope she feels MUCH BETTER VERY SOON!!
    Allebas

Answer by Allebas at 1:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• yes! the preggie pops are amazing. the only thing is you have to get a lot of them cause as soon as the pop is gone the sickness comes back yet it goes away again as soon as you have another pop
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009