2 year old playing in poop

I babysit a 24 month old he always puts his hands down his diaper and when there is poop in it he will play with it wipe it on stuff and put in his hair....I am not sure how to handle this I know some might say make him help clean it up but I know he WILL NOT do it I am not sure whats wrong with him but I think he is a little behind he says maybe 6 words and cant point to things when you say where is the dog? where is the baby? But his mom thinks nothing is wrong at his 18 month check up his doc said he was behind a little this is my cousins child and sometimes in the morning they will be running late and she will say b/c he got into poop and when he comes he smells sooo bad it will still be in his hair so i have to give him a bath. I just don't know how to make him stop i have asked her to put a onsie in his bag but i guess she forgets...i also watch other children so it is hard with him doing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first of all kids will do this when there is a new baby around just as an attention getter and well it works lol. but if there is no new additions well maybe this little one is ready for a big boy potty it may seem early but you would be supprised what they can learn dont push it but tell him the poop goes in the potty not on your hands(or whatever he puts it on)

Good luck
    sami07

Answer by sami07 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Sounds like he is just becoming aware of his bowel movements...he might be ready to be potty trained. Try making him wear overalls or a sleeper backwards or something that doesn't allow him access to the diaper when you're watching him. As for being behind - all kids are different and a lot of what he can do/say often has to do with his environment and what he's exposed to. Also, some kids focus more on physical tasks at certain points and then later move toward the more cognitive tasks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My oldest has autism and he went through a phase like this - i second the pp's suggestion of making him wear a sleeper backward, or a one piece outfit of some sort. My son even figured out how to get his hands down overalls. Maybe you could buy a couple onesies to keep at your house, but if she doesn't return him that could get expensive.
    I'm concerned about his development too. Doesn't sound like his mom is and that's hard because Early Intervention is SO important. I don't know what to tell you to say to her, but the lack/delay of speech and not pointing are big indicators of autism.

Answer by missanc at 2:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009