Do you believe that secular humanists are currently shaping America?

I’ve noticed over the past decade that government leaders and public educational institutions have worked steadily and diligently to remove God from just about every part of American life and replaced it with an increasingly secular-humanistic and socialistic agenda: a political and economic philosophy that emphasizes government control and redistribution of wealth over personal responsibility and private ownership. This brainwashing ideology has really sunk its roots deep into the mindset of a rebellious society. People under 40 don’t seem to realize the inherent danger this means to their freedoms that they currently enjoy under a free society due to the freedoms we have under God. What are your thoughts? No bashing; if you can’t reply civilly and respectfully, don’t.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Like mumma28 said, separation of church and state benefits everyone.
    There's a big difference between secular humanism and socialism. SH is a philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice and uses reason as the basis of moral reflection and decision-making. Socialism is the redistribution of wealth and communal ownership. Socialists can be religious or humanist or whatever else there is. The USA has been moving toward socialism ever since F.D. Roosevelt was president. And born-again G.W. Bush certainly did his part in progressing the socialist agenda.
    Maybe if all the supporters of freedom and capitalism would work together instead of snapping at each other, we could keep our freedoms and our great country.
    Kama

Answer by Kama at 2:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Being secular does not under ANY circumstances mean that you want the government to control your life. Holy shit, who told you this?

And do not even begin to tell me that religion is not a form of brainwashing. You should take a look at yourself and your own beliefs before you cry out about another. You obviously know NOTHING about secular people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm christian. I do not want my religion in my government. It has little to do with secular people.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Separation of church and state. It IS for everyone's benefit. How in the world can the government choose to keep religion in it with so many different kinds of religion out there? which would they choose? It wouldn't be fair to non-believers, or people who have a different view to tell them what to believe.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Uh, yeah, and they have been for decades. Why? Because of the apathy and laziness of those who like to call themselves "Christians" and "Conservatives." Ever hear the quote, "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Caitx, "Being secular does not under ANY circumstances mean that you want the government to control your life. Holy shit, who told you this?"

There is a difference between secularism and secular humanism. And to answer the question yes I do think the philosophy of secular humanism is the major influence of our society right now. I think you hit the nail right on the head. And I totally agree with you.

No matter who is in leadership, their personal philosophy WILL affect their vision and the direction they take the nation.

I personally think that our country is heading in the wrong direction, and I am very concerned. I have to keep reminding myself to lift up my concerns in prayer, instead of letting myself feel so overwhelmed. God is still God, even now and even here.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The thing is, people cannot and will not push "god" on those that do not want it in their lives. Point blank, end of story. We are not and will never be (hopefully) a theocracy. If we ever turn into one, I'm leaving. I don't want to be a part of a country that forces its citizens to believe in a higher power.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I can only hope that is the case!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• evil, how?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree with you Caitx, totally, but I don't think that was what the OP was getting at. She is just showing a correlation between the philosophy of secular humanism with the recent changes that our country is experiencing.

Philosophies of Secular Humanism in my opinion are what are directing our education system, our push for universal healthcare, and all the government programs (as we move more towards socialism).

And like you said we shouldn't live in a country that forces its citizens to believe in a higher power, but we shouldn't go the other way either.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009