Why do some people hang on to their bills for 6 months to a year?

Then maybe shredded it. I hate all that paper I'd rather get rid of it now...

Maybe to compare or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I keep my receipts, statements, etc. for seven years. My Tax returns, also with all the back up documentaion. It is a good thing. But,then,I was in Accounting and Finance so I am really cautious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• IDK. I know that we were trying to clean all the clutter out of my mom's house and she had a bag full of old mail, some of it from the early 90's! I have no idea what she was saving it for and she doesn't know eithier!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I keep all my bills with there recipes of payment attached for about 5 years- a few years back I had the New Jersey electric company come after me for some odd 1,500 bill, that NO was paid off before I left the state, THANK GOD I kept my recipes to prove that it had been payed off or it would have gone into collections. Also I keep ALL my tax records for 10 years. on paper,and backed up on a computer hard drive in a safety deposit box in case of fire. Some would call that paranoid- I call it smart thinking!!

I would rather be safe, than sorry!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I actually have no idea why I save it. I've started getting rid of it. When I lived on my own with my friend, I kept it all just in case something came back about us not paying a bill. So I kept the receipt showing we paid attatched to the actual bill. Once I moved back with my parents I kept it for about a year and then got rid of it all.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I still pay all my bills with checks, so I don't keep the actual bill. The bank has a copy of it. They send me a bank statement through email and I see a cashed copy of my check. It is all kept in my banking history, so let someone try to say I didn't pay something. I have the proof that they cashed it right online.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I keep them for tax purposes. When you are self-employed, you need to keep everything. It also helps if you need to figure out a budget or determine how much you spent on items over the year.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have saved my bills, receipts and statements for years back. I am glad I have, it has saved us quite a few times. We got our computer monitor replaced, we had a hospital bill from 3 years ago go to collections. Luckily I had the receipt showing that we had paid it 3 years ago.
    I also keep manuals and receipts in thoughts that if I ever want to sell something people are more likely to pay more for something that has the manuals and receipts still than if they don't. A lot of my kids high ticket items sold quickly and for a little more than the comparable's because I had the paperwork.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I keep my basic bills until the next one comes showing that it was paid and the balance zeroed out for that month. I also save my receipts for seven years - but I keep them in a system of envelopes and folders. Right now, I'm doing it as a backup - my ex hasn't paid child support in over a year and I want to keep it to show every dime I'm spending on them in case he ever goes to court and says I haven't. But also for warranty's for things and instructions for gadgets.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009