Is Maturity Attainable?

Americans are a diverse mix of people. Homosexuality is nothing new and yet the topic daily dominates the forum. Mostly with hateful and vengeful rhetoric aimed at religious folk who, for the most part, really don’t care one way or the other; will creating daily drama on this one topic change their minds? Obsessive hatred is nothing... it’s just the absence of love. A person who is filled with love sees love on all sides and attracts the love of others. The person with hate in their heart does not further their cause. Antagonism towards those with a Biblical outlook on life is nothing but a reflection of the disharmony within oneself. Isn’t it time for moms to grow up and be mature people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• (and, yes, this goes both ways, I'm not just referring to Christians)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It goes both ways here.

There will always be debates on hot topics. I don't think its so much a question of maturity, as accepting that you will never change anyone's mind if you preach at them or ridicule them for their religious beliefs.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Sadly, there will always be people who think that hate is a family value. My neighbor told her six year old son that men who marry men and women who marry women are mean. I was horrified!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree, it goes both ways. Obviously, whoever you are OP, you are a religious person and you are feeling victimized by the non-religious folks. Think for a moment that maybe, just MAYBE, if the religious people left homosexuals and non-religious people alone, maybe, just MAYBE, homosexuals and non-religious people wouldn't have anything to attack religious people for.

Hence why I have never spoken ill towards my pagan friends here. They have never ever uttered one bad word about what I believe, and I haven't condemmed their beliefs either.

It works. Both. Ways.

So read your own words, please:

"Antagonism towards those with a non-Biblical outlook on life is nothing but a reflection of the disharmony within oneself."

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mostly with hateful and vengeful rhetoric aimed at religious folk who, for the most part, really don’t care one way or the other; will creating daily drama on this one topic change their minds?

It isn't atheists or pagans or Buddhists or satanists who keep blocking every attempt of the state and federal governments to give equal rights to gays.  It's christians.  Why?  Certainly it isn't because they "really don't care one way or the other".  They are the most actively AGAINST gays having marriage rights, civil rights, and adoption rights.  In violation of a constitution that advocates equal rights for EVERY citizen.  If christians don't want to be bashed for their prejudices, they shouldn't post questions on homosexual rights in this forum.  Problem solved.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Op.. I get what your saying and I agree with you, but when you have people asking, "Do you think gays should be allowed to marry?" or "How do you feel about homosexuals?" I'm not sure what you expect people to resond with. If someone is asking for other's opinions on the subject, especially when it's a controversial topic where everyone has different opinions, then arguments will start as will drama. Is it possible to say "I don't think gays should be married." without offending someone? It's an opinion, and as long as we are entitled to our own opinion, than questions and debateable subjects are subject to answers one doesn't want to hear.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thus the reason I rarely give my opinion on things of this nature. I know what I feel about it and how it will be taught in my home, but dont expect others to agree or disagree with me, just let me be the sovereign voice in my house. I have also never spoken ill of any other belief system, even though I am a christian. I just dont wish to try to debunk the theory behind anothers beliefs just like I cannot stand when a nonchristian is constantly trying to start drama by provoking others and looking for fault with the Bible, which isnt even their book of choice. I dont get that and I will readily admit that my fellow christians can sometimes cause me great embarassment and frustration because of their overzealousness and at times, yes, even downright hatred. God is Love and he always will be. Anyone who doesnt love his brother doesnt have the Love of God in him. Bottom line. I do agree with your last statment though. Its true.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Not all Christians view it as bad or go against it at all- I left a church after visiting several times because the last time I was there they were praying against the law being passed- but no one has the right to say this is a Christian thing- and that Christians are the ones that try to get it banned- that is a group of people not a religon as a whole- that would be like saying all members of a ceartin race are criminals- or are all racists- those blanket statements about people as a whole are what cause so much offense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm always amazed when people expect tolerance for their intolerance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Oh wait, I forgot to answer your exact question. Yes, maturity can be obtained, but it comes at a very sacrificial cost and its one that many arent even aware of and one that some just flat refuse to pay. The cost of admitting we are wrong, the cost of saying Im sorry, the cost of our pride, the cost of putting ourselves out there for others to reject, the cost of having others judge us and scrutinize us and the cost of us pressing through hard situations with the determination that we are doing the right thing even when every ounce of circumstance around us says differently. Situations in life can cause us to mature, but usually they just reveal the amount of maturity thats already there. I know that I have struggled with it. I find that now that I am in my 30's and have older kids, life isnt as kind. I am no longer allowed to act immature because I have people watching me and mimicking what I do and how I act. I must grow up
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2009