Is anyone scheduled for a c-section?

I had an emergency c-section with my previous child, so I guess I am new to this whole scheduling the birth of your child thing. I received a letter in the mail from my doctors office, giving me the date and time of the c-section. The date is fine, it is the date that we had discussed with the doctor already. The time is the issue. The surgery is set for 7:30am, which wouldnt be so bad, except they want us to be there 2 hours ahead! So that means I need to be there at 5:30am. And then never mind that I live at least 45 minutes from the hospital, so I need to leave my house at least by 4:45am. UGH! And I am NOT a morning person, I would really like to have a good nights sleep before having surgery and taking care of a newborn. So for everyone else who is scheduled is this normal? And then there is the fact that I would much rather have a VBAC, but my doctors office wont even let me try. Augh!

dakajazz23

Asked by dakajazz23 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Most are scheduled for in the morning, and they do ask you to be there 2 hours before because of the prep work, getting iv fluids going, etc... You can try to change the time but most want them done first thing..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• At my hospital. I have to arrive the night before. Imagine one more day in the hospital and another day away from my 3 yr old especially during RSV season.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine us scheduled at 730am as well.. Like my doctor put it, at least you won't be starving for as long (since you fast for 8 hours)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• (OP here) The letter that I received from the hospital said that I cant eat or drink anything past midnight, not even sips of water it says. I told my husband that by the time we get to the hospital I am going to really need the IV because I will probably dehydrate. I am used to drinking a lot of fluids.

(To Prican91181) I am glad that they didnt say that to me! That is even worse, staying the night before in the hospital! Wow.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i go in tomorow for mine...i hve to be there at 5....so don fel bad i live an hour away from my hosital
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

Well at least I dont feel so annoyed about it now, I guess that it is typical. Thank you! Best of luck to you!
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Typical unfortunately. :(

Do you not have the option of switching doctors to pursue a VBAC?
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• (OP here) Of course I could switch doctors in the hopes of pursuing a VBAC with them, but from what I have heard the guidelines for having a VBAC are so strict because of the possible risks that not many doctors and hospitals will do it anymore. My whole group of doctors and midwives, which is 5 doctors and 2 midwives dont do them anymore, even though they used to. The midwife I spoke with about it, said that if my labors werent so long they might have considered doing it, but the rules are that the doctor has to be in the room with you the whole time you are in labor, and because my last vaginal birth labor was 13.5 hours long, that is out of the question.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• :( That is so sad... It's crazy that they'll let you do an elective repeat c-section which carries MANY more risks than a VBAC. Have you actually looked at the risks each carries? It really scared me when I looked at the c-section side! It was hard for me to find a good OB here (they are hard to fin here too), but I'm so glad I did. He had the same rule that he had to be with me the whole time but I helped him out by staying at home 23 hours, lol.. He almost missed the birth :P

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel you can't pursue a VBAC. Good luck with your c-section, I wish you a fast and easy recovery.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 8:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was also an emergency csec with my first, My doc said I could try a vbac but wouldnt let me labor for more than a couple of hours, then i found out i have an anterior placenta, so i have to have a csec, but all schedualed ones are in the morning, it sucks but at least you will have all day with your baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009