Whats the big deal?!

So last night my husband made steak, mashed taters, and broccoli for dinner. Now my oldest cannot stand Peas or Broccoli...i knew this so went and bought her those tiny single serve cans of diff veggies she likes...well last night when she found out it was broccoli she asked if she could make up a can of green beans (that was one of our deals, she has to trade a green veggie for another green, and if she wants it a particular night SHE gets it ready). My husband had a COW! He wanted her to just eat the broccoli and deal with it. It caused a stink between him and i...but he let her do it...only because he walked away from t he kitchen and i had to finish dinner. Is he overreacting or is he right? should she eat what we are eating?

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think your DH did over react. Perhaps he felt like you were going agianst him or something. But he did still over react. I agree with you that it shouldnt have been such a big problem. Its one thing that a kid "isn't in the mood" for a certian food but when the child actually doesnt LIKE it and even has a problem with it changing the food should be okay. Especially when it is exchanged for something she can get the same vitamns/nutrients what ever from.
    I normally do have my kids eat whatever is made but if something like this was the situation I wouldnt have a problem,especially considering the kid made it them selves.
    And i saw ur added thing...your DD could have taken it off her self...
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think he over-reacted. if my kids have tried a food and truly do not like it I will let them pick another to replace it. I think your green for green is a good compromise....DH needs to chill she didnot trade it for ice cream for Gods sake !!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• That's how it is at my house. My kids eat what I fix. Period. I went through a stage where i had to fix 3-4 different dinners just to please everyone but not anymore! I make 1 meal and that's that. They go hungry if they don't eat what I make.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my kids are picky eaters so i have to cook alot of diffrent thing for evryone. it don't bother me. i don't see a problem with it at least you know she is eating. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If she has honestly tried broccoli and doesn't like it then no I wouldn't force her to eat it and she's obviously getting veggies in her diet so I don't understand what the big deal is
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 1:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my kids eat whats for dinner. I also make things i dont like and eat them to show them its good for us and this is what we made this is what we get. my sisters son WILL NOT eat anything besides pizza, chicken nuggest and a few other things. no one wants to watch him bc he thinks he can eat w/e he wants.. i dont think its right its spoils the kid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• He didnt overreact about the broccoli, he overreacted because you went against him and let her have her way. Thats likely why he stormed out. Yes he did overreact but usually its not about something that silly. Men do not like when their rules are disregarded. You and him need to compromise and come up with the rules privately and then put up a united front in front of the kids. Now she knows you disagree about it and she will try this again. Be on his side, but first privately explain to him WHY you did what you did. It could be he might see it from your perspective and agree with you. Just dont go against him in front of the kids. In my opinion thats what this was about. Ive totally done it, so thats how I know.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids eat what we have. Period. There are nights where we have issues, though. My SS had a big problem with every veggie but green beans for a while. His mother will let him make PB&J, or even better.... ramen noodles if he doesn't like what they are having. We make them eat what is made, even if its just a little bit. I like your solution of letting them make their own part of the meal if they don't like it. I think your husband's in the wrong on this one. Being able to compromise is a good thing.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• actually the sad part was momofsaee him and i HAVE talked about it and he didnt seem to care if she made her own veggie...he was just mad because he had already put it on her plate and didnt want the hassle of taking it off...
    and anon, i dont do a freeforall in this house...the ONLY compromise i make is on the veggie cause there are soooo many different types out there and they are good for you...the only other rule we have in this house is if its new to you, you have to at least try it!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• he overreacted. I like the bargain you have going with your daughter. when she grows up maybe she'll like broccoli. It took me years to like onions, peppers, and tomatos.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009