My 9 month old still wont' sleep in his crib. He does not fall asleep on his own and prefers to be rocked or held to sleep. Any NON-CIO methods?

As soon as I attempt to put him in his crib he wakes up. I would appreciate any suggestions, but please don't post any opinions on cio vs. non-cio, I'm looking for what worked for others...NOT JUDGEMENT!

Thanks

arocks

Asked by arocks at 1:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you have a swing? My son used a swing til he was 10 months old because he did the same thing. however he had colic so bad he never learned the self soothing ability and needed the not talked about method lol!! does patting him on his back work when he's laying there? rubbing his back? what about letting his "fuss" for only 5 or 10 minutes at a time and going in and not talking or rocking but soothing him with your touch? I don't know. I had to use the "other" method cause nothing else worked.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my son is 13 mos old, has always co-slept, and could only go to sleep by nursing,unless in the carseat or stroller. he never liked the swing much, but i just started putting him in it for his morning nap with a bottle and his glow worm while i'm on the computer. This is a major miracle for me because i can't handle CIO(i have a 15yr old and 11yrold also). Also at night ,he is starting to sometimes fall asleep after nursing a little and watching his musical aquarium toy with me. I am pushing him a little, and he is slowly becoming less attached to having to be nursed to sleep. He's been walking and climbing since 10 mos,so i've given up on the crib idea, but he has also in the past few months started moving away from me more at night in the bed. So, in my opinion, he will outgrow it
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 1:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• For the past week, I have nursed my 11 month old to sleep. She sleeps through the night, mostly. I don't find it a problem, because it takes me ten extra minutes. Your first step should be to evaluate your ideal situation, and then figure out a way to get to it. So, are you okay with the rocking, if you can lay him down? Do you want to lay him down wide awake? Or somewhere in the middle? How's his night waking?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I understand you're opposed to CIO, but another poster asked about letting him "fuss" for 5-10 mins and then going in - would you consider trying this? That's very similar to what I did with all 4 of mine - we had a set bedtime routine, so they knew what was about to happen, they had a "heartbeat" bear that mimicked what they heard when laying on my chest, and a silkie blanket that I wore under my shirt during the day so it would have my scent on it at night. I would (and still do - youngest is 9 months), snuggle while we read a book, sing 2 songs, and then I lay him down. When I first started he would fuss for a few minutes, less than 10 and then settle down and drift off. Now he goes to sleep for naps and at night with no problems and no fussing.

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Co-sleeping has really made things so much easier in my house. I nurse when he fusses during the night and he and I can fall asleep. My bed is on the floor for the time because I'm scared of him rolling off the bed.
    I used to do cribs. I never slept and was always cranky. I have 4 kiddos now and am glad I actually get my rest at night.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 2:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• There are also some sleep groups on here that are antI-cio. You migth want to check one out. I see a lot of these questions answered by people who have "advice" when they then say nothing worked and they had to cio. Your best bet is to only take advice from people who were committed to finding a different alternative. If they had to do cio, then their suggestions didn't work for them, and you might be wasting your time, you know?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was having sleep issues with my DD and I didn't want to use CIO either, so someone on here recommended for me to read the book "No Cry Sleep Solutions" by Elizabeth Pantley. So far I like the things that she has suggested and am trying them out. Here are just two of her "solutions" that seem to be working for me....Spend time in the crib during the day (playing, watching mobile, reading books, etc), set a betime routine and spend time in baby's room/crib in dim light one hour before bedtime going through the routine. Everything she suggests is reasonable and logical which I like. Check her out online or get the book for lots more suggestions. Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Have you tried The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? I'm in the middle of it right now and it's full of great ideas. The basics, though, are to start a bedtime routine so they know to expect bedtime and to gradually change whatever behavior you want changed. With my son, we've just started working on it, but we've started having him spend time in his crib when he's wide awake and we're in the room so he can get used to it and not see it as a scary place. Good luck :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son co-slept with me till 3. When it was time to move him to his own bed, we did it gradually and slowly. I'd lay in bed with him, then go sleep in mine. Then i'd sit in the rocker in his room. Then made it to the dinning table outside his room. Then to the living room next to his room.

The idea here is to increase his comfort level. Try sitting by the crib, reading a book or playing a nighttime lullably, and as his comfort level increases, move futher away. But don't let him CIO or his will immediately regress. Go at your own pace and try to enjoy the quiet time:)

now that my son is older, if he wakes (like with a bad dream) it helps him fall back to sleep if i'm standing next to his bed and lightly touching his head (as if to brush away his hair).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well, your son does fall asleep but it's just that he needs to be rocked, correct? I would just rock him a little bit longer, make sure he is sound asleep and then move him to his bed. I had to do this was DD for quite some time. I say enjoy the these times with him. I really don't understand the philosophy that a very young child has to fall asleep on their own. If they want to be rocked, than rock them! =)

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009