Should anything be done about magazines at the checkout at stores?

I'm not complaining, but my son is 8 and reads everything, ya know cuz that's what 8 yr olds do. We were at te grocery store yesterday, and there was a tabloid that says, "Dr.Phil Sexually Assaulted ME!" I was trying to pay for groceries, and I heard him read it out loud! I didn't know what to say except those mags are smut and garbage, and don't pay any attention to them. Thank God he didn't ask me what sexually assaulted means, because I was not prepared to explain. Maybe they should put all magazines in an aisle rather than at the registers? What do you all think?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• ITs part of teaching them about whats real and whats not! WE all know that 99 % of what is printed in those mags are unreal and so when my daughter started reading them i made sure she understood that she shouldnt believe everything she reads in those mags and we still discuss truth and fiction in those things. I dread when my son starts reading those things cause he will think most of it is funny!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think it is part of growing up. My MIL found out my dh could read at three because he said to her one day "mommy, what does p.r.e.g.n.a.n.t spell?" she said pregnant why". Then he said this magazine said "wolfman got my wife pregnant."
    That was the Weekly World News...30 some odd years ago.
    LOL
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• it's good advertisement for the magazines, just turn your kid around and he can look at the candy, that's the marketing strategy for children.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You got the magazines on one side and candy on the other, it's a marketing strategy that's annoying but will never change.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes, something should be done but nothing will be. Those magazines are garbage but as long as people buy them store will stock them. I remember reading disgusting titles like that when I was young. My mom just told me it was not real and to ignore it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Great idea! Oh wait.... This is a communist country. Nevermind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• *isn't* a communist country.
    Anonymous

• It is part of growing up. If you make a big deal out of it then it will be a big deal to your son. Don't make a big deal and he won't even notice. This would be a good time to teach your child about reality and fantasy. Nothing is going to be done about magazines being at checkout, those are impulse buys and something to do when the lines are long. There is also candy on the other side, should that be moved to because candy will cause kids to be obese and it is unhealthy and empty calories? It is not going to change, learn how to deal with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I didn't make a big deal to him, I just told him not to read that stuff. I came on Cafemom TO ASK adults. I did say "I'm not complaining."
    I was just wondering if anyone else thought the same way.
    I also know it is a marketing strategy. No big deal.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Whatever. It's really not a big deal.

Why don't you want your kid to know what sexual assault is?
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2009