21 months old

Is this too early to start potty training a boy? I was told to wait to notice dry diapers after naps but I am not with him during the days after naps and he always wakes with a big huge pee diaper in the AM and on the weekends after his naps. He doesn't seem too interested in it,i have brought him on the potty but he still has his pants on his shorts - should I be taking off his diaper? How do I get him to Pee? should he be able to pull down his own pants/diapers by now? should i be putting him in pull ups now? CLEARLY first time Mom here..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I also have a 21 month old boy who I am in the process of potty training I dont force it on him I intruduce it to him a couple times durning the day and take his diaper off and just sit him on it sometimes he goes on it sometimes he dont but I wouldnt push the issue to much for you dont want him to be scared of going on the potty as I have been told before they will learn in there own time when they are ready they are ready but just intruduce it to him once or twice a day and go from there it should work its been working for me just dont force him because then it will take him even longer to want to potty train and if he goes on the potty reward him for doing a good job good luck
    proudmom4cj

Answer by proudmom4cj at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i started trying as early as 12 months. showing my little girl to go. i would put her on potty and she would mimic me. i would have your husband or bf show him and take him in to the bathroom. he doesn't really have to do anything but just watch at first. i would at least put him up to a potty chair and have him take his pants or shorts off and try to have him go. even if he doesn't. i would do this for a wk or so and then stop try again later. it finally took my daughter of 3 yrs to finally be potty trained although her going to preschool is hampering her progression. when she is here so never has wet pants but she does there. you know no access to a bathroom for her as is in her own home. just keep trying.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009