I need ideas on what to pack in a lunch box for a very fussy boy

My son is almost 5 and will be going into learning readiness at school this fall. I will be packing a lunch for him and he won't eat anything with bread. He hates bread, cheese, peanut butter, pasta, soup, meat of any kind, potatoes of any kind.
His diet is mainly... french toast, fresh fruit, (no fruit cups or canned fruit) pizza with pepperoni and light cheese, cooked broccoli, sweet corn.

So what on earth can I pack for a kid this fussy?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cold pizza is just fine. Make it before, cut it into little bites, and pack it in a sandwich container. Fruit is good too. Just drain it and send it. Everything you mentioned can be eaten at room temp and would be fine as long as it's packed the right way. Buy re-usable plastic kid utensils and remind him to put everything back into his lunch pail because nothing gets thrown out. Just cook lunch meals for him the night before, pack it in little containers, and send it to school with him in his lunch pail. We eat on the road a lot, so I always make full meals and just pack them in our Tupperware. I used to also eat lunch at work and this was always my plan too.

Good luck!
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 3:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Maybe you can get him a pizza Lunchable, and pack a bag of grapes (or any other fruit)

Or if you can't do that, maybe have him help you make bagel pizzas or something the night before. If he helps make it, he might eat it a little better

kaitlynsmommy31

Answer by kaitlynsmommy31 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• try www.kraft.com They have a tab for bag lunches.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Ok, what about making sandwiches out of unsweetened french toast? Or fill two slices of regular french toast with strawberry flavored cream cheese so he gets a little protein in there? I like to make little mini pizzas out of whole-wheat English muffins. Hrmm...what about eggs? Will he eat a hard-boiled egg? At least the whites?

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years. If you send me a message offlist, I have be happy to forward it to you

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009