Colic?

Those with experience: What is colic? What did you do about it?

I am bfing my 4 week old baby girl. She is my third under 3 and my other two (boys) were NEVER like this. She is screaming about 80-90 percent of her time awake. Sometimes I can hardly latch her on the breast because she wont calm down. Other times, it seems that simply holding here makes a difference. I know some of it is gas... I have tried gas drops with little to no success, gripe water which helps a little but is so expensive (any recipes ladies??) and I haven't really asked the doctor yet. Is colic a silly thing to take an infant in for? Does it sound like colic? Do any of you have other home remedies or tricks I could try?

A friend of mine suggested "Happiest Baby on the Block" which I will be getting and I should also mention that being in the moby wrap (not skin to skin yet) but that hasn't worked either.

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 2:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be something in your diet. I had 2 who were allergic to dairy so I had to take it out of my diet (the 3rd was fine with dairy.) It's a pain in the a$$, but it can be done. It will also take a little while for it to completely leave both of your systems. For me it was worth it. kellymom.com is a great resource.

kellymom.com is a wonderful resource.  (sorry I can't link it on my comp.) LaLeche League can be really helpful as well.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OH MOmmy... HUGS to you.. My son had ALL DAY colic for 5 months. We tried everything, they even gave him meds incase it was reflux, which is the new diagnosis passed for everything, it helped a little - the tight wrap he fought with ALL His might but was the only thing that made him fall asleep once we mummy wrapped him, otherwise I cried all the time, bounced all day, took drives, static on the radio loud helped in the car, he had a hard time eating also- basically cried during every feeding the whole time- he hated skin on skin or cuddiling too -wahh.. it was horrible and my husband was so NOT helpful because he didn't have the patience. ASK FOR HELP - colic is HArd - i never found a home rememdy for it and the doctors said it will go away with time -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Here we go...hold that baby as much as she needs......look up these techniques for gas pain:
    --Tiger in the tree hold
    --I Love You Massage

Also put baby on her back, push legs into chest ( it will push the gas right out)
    bycicle those little legs
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009