If you've had/have high blood pressure while pregnant...

I'm afraid I may have high blood pressure. I know you get headaches while pregnant but mine are horrible and nothing helps them. I have a very stressful desk job & on the more stressful days my head just starts pounding and nothing I do gets rid of the headaches. Last week I had a migraine Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and missed work Friday bc I was up literly all night bc my head. I called the dr to see if I could take anything besides Tylenol bc that didnt knock a dent in the pain and she told me to tell my Dr about the headaches at my appt the 18th and to call back if they get worse. My mom, dad, and 3 out of 4 grandparents all have high blood pressure and my mom actually passed away last Sept from a heart attack so Im scared Im going to have high blood pressure now. For those who have or had high blood pressure, is there any other signs I should be looking for? And btw I'm 15 weeks pregnant.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Faintness/dizziness accompanies high blood pressure sometimes. But definitely bring it up with the doctor; high blood pressure, headaches, dizziness, changes in vision, all can point to pre-eclampsia, so it's something they're going to want to keep a very close eye on.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I didn't have high blood pressure until my 36 or 37th week of my first preg. It turned out i had pre-eclampsia. Other signs i had were blurry vision and bad headaches, but i never had high blood pressure before. I did not have high blood pressure with my 2nd or 3rd pregnancies either. By the way, i am very sorry to hear of your loss with your mother:(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Stop by a fire station and ask them to take your blood pressure.

If your headaches are that severe - call your Dr.'s office and tell them you want to be seen. It is your right to be seen when you feel badly. You should have never suffered for 3 straight days without seeing a Dr. and getting some kind of explaination.

Good Luck!
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I've had horrible headaches and migraines this whole pregnancy, and my doctor is pretty sure its just because of the hormones.. Only thing that helps mine (and only dulls em down so I can handle taking care of my 18 month old) is taking lortabs (bash away.. they were prescribed by my OB)

Definatly bring it up to your OB though at the next appt and see if there isn't something you can do.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had really bad migraines up until the 3rd trimester. I also had high blood pressure, but it has fluctuated up and down. They were watching me for signs of preeclampsia, but I don't have it. My headaches were so bad that they'd make me throw up. The Dr. gave me Lortab's, which are Tylenol and Vicodin, and totally safe if taken in the right dosage. I would ask your Dr. for something stronger than Acetaminophen...it did nothing for my headaches. Even if you have high blood pressure, as long as it's monitored, you can make it through the pregnancy without any complications as long as it doesn't get too high. Definitely share all of these concerns with your doctor at your next appointment. Hope you feel better soon.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009