How do I get my 8 year old son to stop being so aggressive to his 6 year old sister who tends to aggravate?

they both try that you love the other more and I try to be fair in all I do. Now it has become a problem ... if I do for one and not the other it's utter chaos! and run off as if their feelings are really hurt then I am hurt, but sometime one of them needs something that the other one doesn't at that time.

MommyofTwo0203

Asked by MommyofTwo0203 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Siblings will be siblings that is just the way it goes...

I also have an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl and I know what hell you go through...lol

Every once in awhile when one is busy I'll grab the other and start holding them and kissing them and tickling them and of course the other hears this and wants a piece of the action so there I go doing it to the other..oh but I love it I usually tell them will you still let me do this to you when you guys are teenagers..they laugh and say yes we will (we both know that is not going to happen...lol) Oh about the aggressive part I no it's wrong but I tell my girl to just fight back hurt him the way he hurts her even though she doesn't hurt him atleast in her mind she is getting some satisfaction. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I could have written that question....8 year old son, aggressive with 6 year old pesky sister. Yep, that's us.

If I see her being annoying, I make her go play elsewhere, give her something to do, or if she's being rotten enough, have her stand in the corner a bit.

If I catch him being aggressive, I explain to him that I realize she's being annoying but that doesn't give you the right to hit/kick/pinch her. You come tell me and I will deal with her. He goes to the corner because hitting/kicking/pinching, etc, are not permitted and he did break a rule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Same situation here too...it used to be one sided with my almost 9 yr old boy picking on his 5 yr old sister...now she's gotten savvy and she will aggravate her brother until he hits her and then come running to us for attention. I got fed up with playing detective so now if there's a fight...they both go in time out for 5 minutes end of story...now I don't have to deal with the he/she started it.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• it's normal but I also believe they are both old enough to sit down with you and have a little talk!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have 8 brothers and sisters we always picked on each other. If it got on my mothers nerves she would send us outside rain or shine snow or hail and tell us to "take it outside and settle it there". Sometimes she would step in and tell us we were not to look at each other touch each other etc etc and put us in separate rooms If worse comes to worse and they are really getting on your last nerve....punishment. Take away something of value to them or a special trip somewhere

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• BLAME THEM EQUALLY. Don't take sides. That's exactly what they want you to do so that one can be winner. The winner will gloat and the loser will be really mad and wait for revenge. Tell them they both need to go to their room.

I used to blame my son because he hit, then I figured out my daughter was actually initiating it with the things she said. After I figured it out I did talk to her and let her know that just because she was no hitting, her words hurt too!

Here are some books on sibling rivalry which might help http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=5&page=1

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have an 8 year old daughter and a 7 year old son... they do the same stuff. I used to try and be fair and hear both sides but fact of the matter is they BOTH do it. Now I put them both in time out.
    janeenee

Answer by janeenee at 10:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009