How old was your child before you took them out of the booster seat?

Did you go longer than your state law?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My oldest is 8 and he's still in a booster seat. He's a bit short for his age. According to our law, he's old enough to be out of the booster seat. But in my opinion, he shouldn't be out of the booster (for safety reasons) until he fits the shoulder belt properly.

Ohio state law requires that children under four years old and under 40 pounds must ride in a car seat or booster that is appropriate for the child's age and weight. Ohio state law also states that the car seat must be used according to manufacturer's instructions.

Beginning October 7, 2009, Ohio also requires that children ages four through seven who are less than 4'9" tall must ride in a federally approved booster seat.

Children through age 15 must wear a seat belt or be secured in an appropriate child restraint system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My youngest is 4 so she's still in a booster seat, however since our oldest is now 11 and no longer in one I can say we kept her in a seat until right before she turn 8.

I remember getting flack about having her in a seat when my oldest nephew (who is only a few years younger than I) wanted to take her for the day and I refuse to let him take her until he put her booster in his car and him saying "but she's 7 now, why is she still in a booster?". I told him that if he wanted to take her he had to get her seat. I saw it as a protection mainly for her but for him as well, cuz if for some reason they would have been in accident and she was hurt I didn't want him beating himself up cuz she wasn't properly secured.

It's loving to keep all kids properly secured in a weight appropiate seat and all those under 12 should really ride in the back as well.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Our state law saw kids have to ride in a booster seat until 8 and that's as long as I did it. They recommend a child be in a booster until they're 80 lbs, but my kids are small like I am - i didn't hit 80 until I was in eighth grade, and I'm not doing that to my kids!

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son stayed in his booster seat until he was 8 yrs old and my daughter will as well
    juscamouse

Answer by juscamouse at 3:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My oldest son stayed in a booster till he was around 8. He was suppose to stay in it untill he was 9 but we got a diffrent car and found out a little to late that it wouldn't fit 3 car seats in the back so since the other two were 2 and 4 we figured he was coming out of it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and still harnessed. Im thinking she will be about 8 before i get her out of the booster.
    MOM22QTS

Answer by MOM22QTS at 3:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my oldest is 8 but super tall. we had to take her out of her booster seat because she kept hitting her head on the roof of our van. lol

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son was 11 because he was no where near the height or weight to be out of the booster. He had no problem with it and he was safe, the seatbelt fit right and he could see out the window without sitting on his feet.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Our law says 8 or 80lbs. My oldest is 9 but only weighs 45lbs and is just 4' tall so she's still in a booster and will be for awhile.
    My son is almost 8 and 65lbs and rides up front in our pickup (between us) unless one of the girls isn't with us. Then he uses their booster seat and will until he's taller (he's 4'3" now)
    My other girls are 6 1/2 and 3. The older one is in a booster and the younger one is in a convertible seat.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had a similar situation with my daughter as Jen described, so she was in her booster until after age 10.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009