Kinda dumb question about kids & exercise.

Why is it that kids who live in mild climates aren't more fit than kids who live in cold climates? I just came back from visiting my sister in San Diego and when I was there it seemed that the same % of kids were overweight as there are in Michigan where I live. Seems to me that kids in a place like San Diego with year round near perfect weather would spend much more time outside thus being in better shape than kids where I live who are basically shut inside for 5 months out of the year. Now thinking about it, I can't recall ever hearing a study that claimed that kids in northern climates have higher levels of obesity, than kids in milder climates. This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone explain it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it really depends on the parents. We were in AZ where the weather is always warm... We went out a lot but mostly to indoor stuff because it was too warm for me :P But we were always moving some how. Then we moved to GA for several months. We would have actually been less active there because my husband was away training- I was mopey missing him and we had lots of family/friends to visit (sit around and talk indoors etc) But I MADE myself get out of bed a couple times a week to walk at the park early with my bff. Then we moved to OH and it was COLD. Like I couldn't get my car door open because it was frozen shut a lot. Well I made my son climb the stairs to get exercise there :) You just do what you gotta do, where ever you are. I think it's more the family's personality than anything else, kwim?
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Probably because the percentage of lazy kids are the same for both states!! Kids are lazy and boring and have no imagination anymore...they just want to sit in front of the TV or video games eating their happy meal because their parents are too busy to cook!!!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 3:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Probably because parents are busy and there is this persistent idea that kids can't be outside without an adult hovering near by so when parents are busy (working or cooking or doing housework) they can't be outside with the kids.
    We live in Chicago and my kids are outside all the time and are super skinny. They actually gain weight in the winter when they don't go out much and then shed it all and then some in the summer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009