Do you get offended by a suggestion?

I do not give out advice unless someone asks. I also do not tell people how to live.
That said, sometimes people ask for advice or ideas about how to feed their families.
I make healthy suggestions. I don't do it in an uppity or rude way. I just say, 'this is what I would make and this is why it is good for you' and leave it at that.

I find that even when I just suggest a recipe that I call 'healthy', people respond to me as if I am a complete health nut and are really very rude about it.

If you think it is rude to suggest a healthy meal, please let me know and I will think more about this. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't think it's rude. I have to ask though, are the people you are suggesting it to overweight? That might be why they think it's rude, they may think you're suggesting they lose weight. That's the only reason I can think of.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 3:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Nope, I don't think it's rude.
    My philosophy is... If you don't think you might not like the answer... don't ask it!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My mil does this. If I buy hot dogs she tells which kind are healthiest. I love it because she is a chef. But I also can't always afford to use almond butter or buy only kosher dogs :) I always thank her for the advice and do what I need to provide for our family too. I don't think it's rude but some people get offended or upset if they can't afford or don't know how to do such things (from scratch meals etc) I think it's important to look at who you are making suggestions too and why. Otherwise, I don't think it's rude.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If I ask you how to make fried okra and you respond by telling me a healthier way to prepare okra, I might get irritated because you're not answering my question.

If I ask, "what are some yummy things I can do with the 4,000 lbs of okra in my fridge" and you respond with a healthy recipe, I'm not going to be mad. I'm going to be grateful for something different to do with the 4,000 lbs of okra in my refrigerator.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009