How old do you think your kids have to be before you let them go to a neighborhood friends house without you? Or how old were your children when they did this?

Or even just play outside in the yard without you.

kristyn165

Asked by kristyn165 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• i was aloud to go to my friends house at like 6 but my mom walked me over there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i played outside since 7 or 8 bymyself could go across the main road but there was enuff kids on my side to make me not have to go across the street but i did anyways!!!lol i was 5 wen i played out front or in teh bak yard but ym older sis was wit me so it all depends also were u live
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son went across the street by himself but it is a quiet street at 7. Last springI allowed him to take the dog for a walk by himself at 9. He now is walking up the street to his friend's house.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Neighbor's houses...he was 3. We have a very close knit neighborhood. As for playing outside alone, not until he was about 9 or 10. We have no sidewalks so he has to ride his bike and scooter in the street, I was always watching him while he did.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• For each of my kids it was different, it depended on how well I knew the parent's and how mature the child was so the average age was between 4-8.

As to playing outside, I currently let my 7, 5 and 3 year old play outside togather, the 3 year old can't by himself, but if brother and sister are out there he can play with them. BUT I live in a very rural area so I don't have a lot of worries.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine are 9, almost 8 and almost 7 and they've been playing outside without me for a year now. They also walk down to their friends' houses and play over there. They are up and down our block when it's warm outside and half the time they forget to tell me which house they will be at so we have to go look for them (they are usually in the yard of one of four houses on our block besides our own). My 3yo can't play out front alone but can be out there with her siblings and goes down to their friends' house with them. As long as she is with them I'm fine with them running all over the street (not actually in the street). We live in Chicago in the same house I grew up in. The neighborhood is safe and there are always neighbors out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009