Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you supposed to do when you need a doctor but don't have insurance?

I don't get insurance through work, I don't make enough to pay for it on my own, and I don't qualify for Medicaid because my son doesn't need it and I'm not pregnant. Are there clinics or insurance plans based on income? If so anybody have any info on them? I'm in CA.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • While it is true that an emergency room cannot refuse care, you will still have to pay a bill - a much more expensive bill than a doctor's office visit.

    Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Health department? Also if you have a specific issue, call a provider's office and ask if they help indigent patients. I worked for a general surgeon that would cut major discounts for patients who didn't have insurance and couldn't afford their bills.

    Answer by CooksWife at 3:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • the public health department. Some Drs will give you a discount if you can pay the bill in cash at the time of visit and you odnt have insurance. The dr I worked for if you didnt have insurance would cut the bill to like $60 for a visit that didnt require alot (just a reg office visit without tests being done) if they could pay the $60 in full that day. Call around to Drs in the area. Im in california

    Answer by Mesha125 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • if you dont go to the Dr often you could get a PPO for less than or about $100 a month. They have a deductible that can be high but if you dont go often its worth it cause if your in a car accident or somehting, instead of a $10k bill you'd just have to pay your deductible. I used to work with insurance companies alot. Dont go with a PPO if your sick alot, then you'll have lots of dr bills and still have to pay for blood tests, etc.
    The public health dept still might be your best bet if you need to be seen. they usually are low in price, free or can go by your income.

    Answer by Mesha125 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Credit card or payment plan.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • if its serious the ER cant refuse you, atleast in my state. other than that, payment plans or public health. i know the public health dept. in my county wont ever take new patients which is a load of bull so thats not always as easy as it sounds. good luck!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • You can get a household Discount Benefits plan with AMERIPLAN. They save you up to 80% off your cost and the Total Health Plan coversMedical, Dental, Vision, Prescription and Chiropractic.

    Tomorrow at 9am Central you can enroll for 1/2 price!!! It is their Back to School sale that was just announced. So that is ONLY $19.98 a month and we have other plans starting at $7.48 right now!!

    There is no qualification or restrictions or contracts. All ages, conditions accepted. And there is a 30 day Money back so if you don't like it you can cancel.

    Give me a call at 770-728-9938 or you can look at the plans online at
    The plans are effective right away so you can use them as soon as you enroll

    Answer by ChristinaDennis at 5:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • What about a Convenient Care type place.

    Answer by kc932 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • you go to the dr anyway--- there job is to treat to the best of there ability regardless if you can pay or not. when you get the bill, ask for the financial assistance dept and have them send you papers to fill out to erase your bill. it is a forgiveness paper. in some places, you can only do it once (at some hospitals), but other places will do it as many times as needed-- hospitals included!! also in the meantime, go to the court house and apply for medicaid, access, whatever your state calls it. some states will not let you apply if you dont have kids, others states will. find out what your state policy is at the human recourses !!!!!

    Answer by KIMMYS_WAY at 9:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • how about child health plus. that helped me when i was in the same situation. i think they expanded to include california. I had blue cross blue shield, my sister had HIP. check it out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009