Not so green?

How would you deal with a friend who believes that global warming is hogwash,conservation of any sort is ridiculous,refuses to go green in any way to protect our enviroment,and thinks that she has a right to her energy hogging V-8 gas guzzler because she can afford to drive it?She goes out of her way to purposely buy and use things which negatively impact our enviroment.I'm no tree hugger,but I believe we need to start taking steps to help our world,not make it worse!Her attitude towards things of this nature have started impacting our friendship,and having me doubt her sanity!

peachy2572

Asked by peachy2572 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would just let her be. She is going to do what she wants to do. The best thing you can do is lead by example. Maybe when she sees how much money you are saving by living green she might switch. (that's the main reason we did it was because of how much money we are saving.)
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• This is just like trying to make someone believe in God when they don't want too. It's called free will...she has a right to believe what she wants and to be how she wants. Either accept her as she is or move on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure there is much you can do. I could definitely do better myself, but I make some what of an effort. My husband has a co-worker who recently, when in his car, started throwing trash out his window...a bunch of it, because he said he needed to clean out his car. It pissed me off even hearing about it. People like that seem so selfish to me and completely disgust me!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Not to defend your friend but I think a lot of people would be more willing to get more earth friendly cars if they would stop making them so compact and IMO, ugly. I have a family, we travel A LOT, often times from one side of the country to the other, there is no way we could do these things with a prius, or focus...

Anyway though, I don't really think there is anything you can really do. If you keep talking to her about it, you could ruin your friendship forever. I think backing off and realising that you both have a difference in opinion is going to be the only way around this, agree to disagree and move on. Yes its an important subject but you can't make people do things they don't want to do.

Or you could offer to help her start going more green by going shopping with her to get recycling bins/resuable bags/eart friendly cleaning products...

Anyway I don't know what else to offer to you, good luck.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Hold your head high and set a good example. There are people like your friend, and there always have been. If she is otherwise a good friend, then keep her as a friend, since they are a rare jewel.

Answer by Bmat at 4:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would embrace that friend. If I knew you in real life, I'd think you were describing me. But, to try to answer, in your place, I would treat her the same way I treat my friends that are trying to cram "Being Green" down my throat -- with patience and tolerance, and just accept it as part of her personality.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009