help help help......so i'm baby sitting this baby that is driving me crazy!

there was a lady in teh church that needed a sitter and i needed either money or someone to help me with house chores. so she came in did some house work and i trade for baby sitting. her daughter has the loudest cry or scream rather. so today is the first day i'm watching her and thinking how can i get out of it or how can i accept this babys behavior. she had fallen asleep in my van i put her in crib & she won't go back to sleep. nothing is working and i know she is tired cause she is rubbing her eyes. anyone know what i should do with her? if it were my child i would let her cry. my daughter is such a good sleeper probably cause she has a routine & wasn't to pampered at bed time. she did tell me that when it came to putting her daughter to sleep it was a nightmare. she didn't tell me what she does to get her to go down. any advice on how i can get her to go to sleep or stop crying from being so tired? bottle isn't working

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe you can take on the hard job of training her to sleep like you did with your own little one. Meanwhile can you just hold her against you and rock her and pet her until she relaxes? It is probably just the change in routine and place and person, and you should be able to expect that it won't be this hard every time. I recommend that you try to stay with it. If you can, you'll be getting the help that you need, plus helping out another mom, helping the baby, and increasing your own parenting skills, plus word will get around about what a good sitter you are, and more jobs might be headed your way- a win win win win situation. Meanwhile, breathe and relax, pet the upset little one, being very very calm, and make your strong and gentle will be soothing to her.

Answer by Bmat at 3:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You could get offline and tend to her needs for starters. Next time, get off your ass and do your own housework. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• A friend of mines baby has to be on her tummy and be patted on the back...not little pats the PAT PAT PAT kind...hard to explain---harder than a burp pat but not to hard that it hurts (duh right?)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i love when a baby cries people shove a bottle in their mouths, you never said the babies age why not try to give her a paci and hold her close to your chest and try to rock her, or maybe she has gas? teething? anything it could be? you think of calling the mother see what SHE suggests vs strangers off here?
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I usually dont reply back of silly stuff...but be nice shes trying something...sometimes when youre stressed its best to walk away and ask for help...maybe the mom doesnt have a clue either seeing as its hell for her too...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• wow. anon- change your tampon.
    try rocking her with her bottle (warmed up) & put on some soft music...dim the lights too. when she is drinking her bottle try rubbing her head softly or her cheeks or nose. this always soothes my son. try to relax her as much as posssible it sounds like she is getting herself worked up.
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 3:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• iagree wththe first answer
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 3:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i got on to get help not to waste time. i tried letting her cry i bit. i tried all that and i think maybe she isn't used to being here in a strangers house. she is 14 months old but her mother doesn't feed her any food just baby cereal in a bottle or formula. she won't let me console her just keeps screaming. i hate to just leave her since she is not my child but frankly i'm at my witts in. i guess i just keep trying. her mother is not available accept for emergencies. as for my house work i do do it it's just that i'm pregnant and this has been a difficult one for me that i can't do a whole lot. like clean bathtubs caus belly in way etc. i'm helping her out and she is helping me out. i hate anons who think they are so prefect. i'll just try new suggestions thanks nice ladies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• umm i had a tough pregnancy but cleaned my house and packed up my house cause we moved a week after i had my DD and that seems cracked out that she only gives her cereal in a bottle and no food idk thats neglect and plain lazy if you ask me! and you cant just walk out and leave this kid alone!
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i wasn't going to leave her alone and didn't. i have other issues but need to repost.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009