Do you encourage outdoor play....

Do you encourage your kids to play outside: ride bikes, swing set, park or back yard? and on rainy days what do you have them do inside?

I encourage outdoor play for exercise an imagination so they are not sitting in front of the T.V or Video Games. On rainy days read a book and sometimes arts and crafts or a nap.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Okay. Wow.
    That was uncalled for, anon12.57....
    My son is much too young right now for the "outdoor play" - he's not even walking yet, but we do take walks in his stroller, and just sit outside and play. Get him some fresh air and sun.
    BUT. My husband and I already discussed it - and although we're okay with our son playing video games - we want to get him those interactive ones? Where you peddle the bike and learn math..forget what it's called... we also want him to have a broad interest in all things.
    When my DH and I were younger - we used to trample through the woods, collect bugs, go bike riding, swimming in the creek... etc. On rainy days - it was a little more "gender" specific sometimes. I would help my mom in the kitchen - baking. read books. Make fun crafts - learn how to crochet/knit. Etc.
    This is what our DS will ultimately do.. or try. :] Have family game nights, stuff like that. :D
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids are on computers and sometimes play outside. You are a much better parent. Your children will be presidents one day. Your house is probably spotless and you eat veggies and your weight is well managed. Yea, yea, congratulations. I am going back to playing Runescape with my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Your a RUDE FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF FREAK!

It was a question to get some ideas on indoor play, rainy days etc....No...I am not a perfect mom and yes I am a regular mom so.... don't pull this stupid crap on me. If you got upset about my post than that's a personal problem....DEAL WITH IT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids play outside, but I do limit it. We live in an apartment complex and some of the other kids are not ones I would want my kids around. When inside we make clothes, the boys play sports games on the Wii and only educational shows are allowed on the TV. I also go to school and I have them help me with my studying. They hold flash cards up for me. I do not think all TV or games are bad. We have a blast with the outdoor challenge for the Wii and any of the dance games are great. I put a great value on family time and we have a lot of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP* Thank you K Sawyer...appriciate the ideas baking or cooking something sounds fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Right now my son basically MAKES us play outside and I love it. We kept him away from TV as an infant ( not that it ever caught his eye anyway ) But now we can watch it and he's just MUCH too active to sit for more than 30 seconds anyway. We love to take about 8 walks a day, we ride our bikes and he's in the pull behind, we got to the park, have a swimming pool/sandbox he loves to fill with soap to make bubbles, likes to help pick up sticks and put them in the NON BURNING firepit. we pick veggies from our garden, he LOVES it outside. its so hard to keep him in on too hot of days. he's only 21 months old so that's tough!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP* Thanks anon:12 great ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP* Sounds fun maxsmom... thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• In spite of the 100° + heat we've had here in Central Texas, we play outside every day. My stepsons are 7 and 5 and my son is 16 months. We all play outside together. My 7 year old loves nothing more than to ride his bike or his scooter. The 5 year old loves his plasma car (gift from his grandma) and a ride on push toy that he got when he was like 3! lol They also like to play with their Hot Wheels cars in the dirt or draw on the driveway with sidewalk chalk. I saw a recipe for homemade sidewalk paint on the Playskool group, btw.

My 16 month old plays with his water table and likes to roam (with me or daddy following him, of course) through the cul-de-sac. He likes to visit with all the neighbor dogs! lol He also likes his swing which is in a front-yard tree so he can scope out all the action.

We haven't had any real rain in months, so I can't help you there. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I pretty much toss my kids out the door in the morning and tell them don't come back until dark, lol. Not really but in the summer I encourage them to be outside as much as possible. There are some days the only time I see them is when they are hungry or have to use the bathroom. They ride bikes, play with their friends and swim in our backyard.
    I want them to spend as much time outside in the warm months because 6+ months out of the year it is freaking cold or raining here and they do nothing but sit inside. Mostly they just watch TV because there isn't anything else to do. Occasionally they play board games but that always ends in a fight. And Legos. We have a huge tub of Legos so they spend all day building with them when it rains. The older kids are 9, almost 8 and almost 7. My 3yo actually can entertain herself better then they can.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009