Am i potty training too early??

my son will be 2 in about a week and we bought him a froggy potty that he picked out and he refused to do anything but wear it as a hat so we took it back and let him pick out an elmo potty and he still will sit on it but then when he has to pee he will stand up and pee on the floor, im worried im trying to young we bought him big boy underpants and boxers so he could be big like daddy and he just isnt interested, i have two other children and my other son was veryy easy to potty train, someone please give me an opinion, is he too little? am i jumping the gun? should i just back off a little bit?

shoefrenzy

Asked by shoefrenzy at 4:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a cheerio in the potty if he wants to stand to pee...it sounds like he wants to go so let him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have four children, and I must say that they will be ready in their own time! If he does not show interest than he is not ready!!
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't force the issue, although I would remind him that he can go on the potty if he'd like. When the kiddos first wake up is my favorite time to ask if they want to go because they usually really need to!
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Dont force the issue just yet, other children are not this child...I have 3, the other two are girls and trained really quick and easy, as for my son he was not completely until after 4, he is on the special needs side but not that much, but it was still very difficult.

Give him a little more time, or try dollar store rewards, or a sticker chart when he goes in the potty and not on the floor.. At least he is getting the hang of the feeling he needs to pee, so that is good..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Your child may want to be like the big boys. I would have a step yust high enough for him to use. Keep the potty chair handy. Please do not push it on him. I have two sons I stoped buying the pullups adn got little boy underware. Except for overnights. If he crys wait, just keep the idea open for him.
    ChildCare4618

Answer by ChildCare4618 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• let him take his time with it. but he may not be into peeing on it. my son refuse to pee anywhere other than the big potty standing up like dad. so we put a footstool by it and i helped him 'aim'. yup i had plenty of pee puddles to clean lol but he did it mostly in the potty
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I started having my daughter on the potty at 18 months just to let her know it was there. She wasn't fully potty trained until 22 months. They will do it on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I also say to get some kind of fun "target" like cheerios. They even sell types of flushable targets at the baby stores. That makes it a little more fun and there will be a better chance of him going in the toilet then on the floor.
    Chickpeas

Answer by Chickpeas at 5:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• thanks for all the input i dont want to force the infor but you guys have given me alot of fun ways to try to help him have fun with it, im not too worried about it he is still kind of young he just started to get where he will tell you pee or poop when he has already gone in his diaper so i thought maybe that was a sign he was ready soi introduced him to it and he looked at me like i was crazy lol but he does act like hes going to be one of the ones that learns standing up so thanks to all who replied
    shoefrenzy

Answer by shoefrenzy at 10:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009