What time do you think is best to try to have another baby?

I'm debating when I should try to conceive again. In a couple of months, to keep my little one's close in age (My first daughter is 3 months now), or in 3 years, to give them a bit of a gap. What have you found are the advantages and disadvantages of each, and what has worked for you? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my daughter and son are 5 yrs apart and they do ok, but my son and younger daughter are 2 years apart and are BFF's. They fight of course, but they are so incredibly close. If I had to do it again, i would def have them closer together. it can be trying, the fights, yelling, etc but they are super close and protective of each other too. they are so much closer to each other than my oldest.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I know my OB suggested I wait a full year to even think about having another baby - just to give my body some rest after being pregnant... and probably because I had a tough pregnancy. Preterm labor, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure... little weight gain. xD
    But i think it's pretty sound advice - to wait until the baby is at least a year or so. That way, your oldest can be just old enough to appreciate a little brother/sister, and help you with small tasks... Like getting a blanket for the baby or whatever.
    I personally do not want a big age gap between my babies - and they won't be (pregnant). Just from my personal experiences watching my DH and my BIL bicker to the death with each other - they're 6 years apart.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• after the first one is out of diapers..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my son is 9 months old and we're ttc #2. hopefully it will come soon. i think its better to be closely spaced, to have a sibling be your best friend is amazing. me and my brother are 22 months apart and we're close but my dh and his brother are 4 yrs apart and hate eachother. :( so if i were you i would ttc before your baby turns 1! it definetely wont be easy and people will look at you like you're crazy but in the long run it will be so worth it. =] good luck.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i personally would want my first child to get to be the baby before another comes along. my daughter will be one on the 26th, but i am also going to wait to have another child until i have finished college and get a better job so i can provide a lot more better for them. im givin myself at least 3years til i try to have another child. I am the oldest of 5!! and it seemed like my sister (middle child) we got a long alot better then the 2nd child and 4th child..oh i also got along great with the 5th child. i am 20 and the youngest is 10..and middle child just turned 16...so i figured 4years would be okay...my brother who i now get along with is 18..and the 4th child is 14. sorry to just go on and on..but i would want my first child to be the baby until they are like 3yrs old..but thats just me...
    AHall08

Answer by AHall08 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My OB said two years between delivery and conception.

The closeness of your kids will be based on your parenting of them, not on their age. The closest sibs I've ever known were a decade apart. The ones who hated each other most? 18 months. But it had NOTHING to do with their ages and everything to do with the parents.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• no its not with the parenting. my mom treated us all the same. and the reason y the decade apart kids got along was bcuz of the age. bcuz they were TEN years apart! and the 18months was bcuz they were to CLOSE in age! im speaking from experience. okay. im gettin tired of this place where there are ppl that THINK they know EVERYTHING. gah ppl u dont have to go and put down what others say. that is just so ANNOYING! everybody grows up different, thinks different, so if u read what ppl say then on some things u can see that they say thats just me or thats my opinion. its not the parents its the closeness of AGES.

AHall08

Answer by AHall08 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I personally would wait to your baby is at least a year before you start to try again. Have fun with your first one before you think of another baby. My theory was to wait to the first one was potty trained or close to it before having another..why pay for two in diapers?
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009