Do you believe that you can become an overcomer of bad habits?

What are some of the bad habits that you are trying to overcome?

Do you believe that you can become delivered from them?

Do these habits interfere with your family and friends?

bloodbought

Asked by bloodbought at 4:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Seriously though, one of the worst bad habits I was able to overcome through Christ's help was to stop viewing myself the way my mother did: useless, worthless, and of no value. God showed me different and I am ever thankful. My wonderful and loving husband tells me I am everything God tells me I am. I also blackened eyes, bloodied mouths, and blistered ears when people crowded me and stepped hard on my toes - God delivered me from that behavior and helps me through His Holy Spirit to temper the emotions I have. Emotions are not sinful, but the behavior can be. These habits only affect my family when I try to fix situations by "doing it on my own". When people try to make me feel "less than" and bait me by lighting my short fuse, I need all the help I can get from Jesus not to revert back to past attitude!

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 6:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes,
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have a bad habit of "being short fused"
    Yes, I do believe that I can become an overcomer of it; if I think first before I blow.
    Even as a little girl my mom would always sing.."I'M a little teapot" when I would get mad.
    I would rather be the teapot than the pressure cooker though. A teapot whistles and the pressure cooker hisses and could even explode if not attended too.
    No; actually and honestly I desire to not get so irritated that I yell or voice myself so much.
    I love following the teachings of the Apostles; but I would rather not be like Peter. God did love Him though and He loves me.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Do I have bad habits? Sure. Can I overcome them myself? Sure Does the divine "Make or help" me overcome them? No. I do it myself My particular habits don't really interfere with anything.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Father, I believe that my faith becomes effectual - divinely energized - by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in me in Christ Jesus. Through my union with Christ, I am a new creature, old things are passed away and all things have become new. I am a BORN AGAIN Believer.
    I was crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me. I was buried with Him in baptism, and raised together with Him by the power of the Holy Spirit so that I might habitually live and behave in newness of life. My old, unrenewed self was nailed to the Cross with Him in order that my body, which is the instrument of sin, might be made ineffective and inactive for evil and that I might no longer be the slave of sin.

bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Just as death no longer has power over Jesus Christ, neither does sin have dominion over me through my union with Him. I consider myself dead to sin and my relation to it broken. I am alive only to God, living in unbroken fellowship with Him, in Christ Jesus.

I have been delivered from the control and dominion of darkness and transferred into the kingdom of light. I have been raised together with Christ and am seated together with Him, far above principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world and wicked spirits in high places. Sin shall no longer exert dominion over me, but I have dominion over sin. It is under my feet, in the Name of Jesus,

Amen.

bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Answered at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 by: SalemWitchChild
    Do I have bad habits? Sure. Can I overcome them myself? Sure Does the divine "Make or help" me overcome them? No. I do it myself My particular habits don't really interfere with anything.

Amen ;)
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• How about trust and have faith in YOURSELF to overcome bad habits and troubles in your life instead of depending on your God? I don't understand how people can lack such trust in themselves... you have all the strength and capability within your own being you just have to believe in yourself.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Wow, I quit smoking AND drinking. And sorry no there was no prayer involved, just good ol' fashioned will power, and let see, the desire to better MYSELF.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• at 1:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 by: IhartU
    How about trust and have faith in YOURSELF to overcome bad habits and troubles in your life instead of depending on your God? I don't understand how people can lack such trust in themselves... you have all the strength and capability within your own being you just have to believe in yourself.
    ~~~~~
    We can overcome many things; but when we have struggles...we have a wonderful God that we can go too and He helps us.
    Since my brain injury I really get upset easy and I hate that. I have tried to overcome and I will overcome through Him that gives me the strength and wisdom to do so.
    Yes, He expects us to do things on our own; but He is never offended or upset when we go to Him and ask for His help.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009