A question for moms who exclusively breastfeed...

when my daughter was born in November she was bottle & breast fed but at 4 months she stopped taking the formula & is breastfed until now at 9 months but I'm going back to school in a week & a half & I need a way to get her back on formula for the 8 hours I'm going to be at school in the morning, has anyone out there ever gotten their baby on formula after a while like this? what can I do to get her to eat it again?

adi_stef

Asked by adi_stef at 4:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How about pumping breastmilk instead?

You can TRY mixing formula and breastmilk. She might take it, she might not.

More importantly,...stop trying to give it yourself. It should ONLY be done when you're gone. hand her to someone and LEAVE.

She won't starve.If truly hungry she'll take what she can get. She might just wait till you're home but that's fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• is it possible for you to pump? if you can't pump enough for when you are away maybe just getting her used to the bottle with breastmilk in it and then adding a little bit of formula gradually until the whole bottle is formula, sorry I don't really know or have experience with this, but that's what I would try
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Personally, if she's taking solids when you go back to school I'd up the solids for 8 hours, pump what I could and nurse when home.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Try pumping if possible.. You dont want to be in pain while at school! :) Let someone else give her the bottle not you. Its common for babies to refuse bottles from nursing moms... Since she is 9mo you shouldnt need that much breastmilk anyway since your little one should be eating some foods now..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I pumped for my son when I was away, but like another poster said, he wouldnt take it out of a bottle, or he would just take an ounce or two,he waited til I got home. I was away 2 days a week, for about 8 hrs also, for about 4 months, he didnt lose any weight, and he did very well with it, but it was always there for him, just in case he would take a bottle.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I am trying to wean my 9 month old to formula. He used to drink formula at 2-3 months. When I tried again at 6 months, he refused. I am down to just breastfeeding at night. THE TRICK: Give him formula in a sippy cup and give it to him while he;s sitting up (not lying down) It may take a while, but be patient and persistant.Good Luck!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2009