How is women the 'weaker sex'?

I was reading another question here and some of the responses said that man is above woman because woman is the weaker sex. Well, I want to know in what way is this true? Physically? I've seen pleanty of women who are stronger than men. Mentally? Again, I've seen pleanty of women who are smarter and more knowledgeable than men. Sexually? Why is then that MEN rape, cheat, molest and get addicted to porn more often than women do then? Seems like sexully, THEY are weaker because they let their wee wee's lead them and not their common sense.

Do Christians think this only because you've been taught Eve was made from Adam and is second best? Because she was tempted first (Adam was tempted by Eve and gave in). Because PAUL said so?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 5:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I heard it analogised this way once and I have always loved it... A woman is weaker in comparison to a man the way a crystal vase is to a cheap glass one. The work weaker has no bearing on strength or worth by this use. Simply put it means precious or fine... Fine China or Crystal are not things that you are rough with. You care for them, you cherish them and you are gentile with them... However they are much greater in value than the ones you see as "strong" and "useful." It wasn't meant to say that they were LESS, but just the opposite! It is only the translations that came later by male dominant rulers and Churches that spun the meaning of the word (in this use) to mean that women were LESS.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Meh, If God would have created Eve first there would be no man, and he would have had to come up with a whole other idea on the procreation thing, because, well he would have gotten it right the first time.

J/k.

I think it also has something to do with the idea, woman was created from man, so therefore we are supposed to be subservient?
    I dunno, I have never gotten the whole weaker sex, doormat, men above woman thing anyway.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Ach, Paul was a dumbass, seriously in the closet, and one of the biggest misogynists to EVER come down the pike. Issues out the wazoo with him.

But...not christian. So I guess not the target audience here.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• LMAO at Princess. :O)

That's a point. Plus, that whole interpretation was all about power and subjugation, and keeping the female from power. Matriarchal societies were offensive to men because they wanted all the control.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I am a Christian, and I do not believe that. Eve was created from his side- to stand beside as equal!!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• hmm...seeing as it was a MAN who came up w/ that saying, what do you expect! :D

back in the day men thought women were "weaker" b/c generally woman were quite, obedient, & treated like less than equals. also (generally), men craved power & competition, women didnt (generally). men prolly took that as a sign of weakness and since women were treated as weaker, that made more men think of women as weaker & there are some women out there who believe this as well.

now i have my issues w/ Paul...not so much what he said but HOW he said it. Paul left too much room for misinterpretation which gave Christian men too much control over women "from a Biblical perspective". Paul didnt have a wife & if he was the great Godly man he wouldnt have had sex (since he wasnt married)...so what did he know about women anyways!! anything he says about women ive always taken w/ a grain of salt...and im a Christian haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Eve was made for Adam and that does NOT make her equal to man.
    She was made to be his helpmeet and that is it.
    Just as woman tried to rule over man in the beginning; women are still trying to be over man now.
    God already says that women will try to be over the man and it will not happen.
    Sure, I can work hard and I can do a lot of things that my husband and other men do that does not make me his equal nor do I want to be.
    That is the problem in society....women are too busy trying to out do the man and it is nothing more than rebellion.
    As far as sex; if it was not a problem then why are women even pretending to be the male in relationships? We all know how fake that member is.
    I enjoy my womanhood and the role that I have in my home.
    God is over my husband so I have no problem being under my husband as in submissiveness. God does not force my husband to be under Him and my husband does not force me. It must work. 34 y
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 5:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Biblical weakness doesn't mean anything like what you seem to think it does. And Paul, whom you don't seem to think too much of, said "but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong." Then he also said in another place that when we are at our weakest is when God is strongest in us. No where does the Bible say that women are beneath men, nor that we are subservient to men. It does say that men and women, Jew and Gentile are all equal in the sight of God, and it does say that women are to submit to the leadership of their husbands as head of the household. That simply means that if the two can't agree, then someone has to lead, and that someone should be the husband. And this is my favorite, because Jesus Himself said it, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." I delight in being weak!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I 100% disagree that women are the weaker sex. We all have natural strengths and weaknesses that, when compared, make us equal. Some of us break the mold altogether and exist outside of the stereotypical "skills" of a man or a woman. I might be "weaker" than my husband because he can carry a 200lb object and I can't but I'd sure like to see him birth a 9lb 6oz baby! I'd like to see a man be in labor for 24+ hours and push for almost 3 and then get stitches with no local anesthesia lol.

Similarly to what manders said, people take Paul's words WAY out of context and forget who Paul was writing to. We can't force 1st century suggestions onto 21st century women. The principle of modesty and not interrupting the church service still stand but it doesn't mean women NOW shouldn't speak in church or have to cover their heads (so on and so forth).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• As for the CURSE of the woman, that's just what it was, a curse!

Remember, Eve wasn't taken out of Adam's head or feet, she was taken out of his SIDE. Men and women stand side-by-side as equals before God. Eve's curse was suited to the sin that she comitted, she lead her husband astray. So from then on, the curse of the woman was to have to STRUGGLE for equality and to be heard equally. The man's curse was to toil the ground. Does man give into the ground and say "no veggies for me, I'm cursed!" No, he toils against it to produce the outcome he wants. Similarly, women have and always will have to struggle to be heard and for equality. We toil against our curse to be seen as equal in society. We are ALREADY equal to God.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. " Gal 3:28
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009