Breastfeeding problems need advice

I am not sure what to do, but now after 2 1/2 months of feeding my 2 1/2 month old, when i feed i feel like my milk supply may be shorting or release less milk, she crys after a while of feeding and its not gas thats to short, has this happened to anyone and is this a way to increase it again!! Please and thank you.

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • If it seems like she's still hungry (don't time her feedings, let her nurse as long as she wants!) she probably is. She's just about due for the next growth spurt, and babies will nurse far more to build supply. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand system - your body will make more to meet her demand.

Make sure you're getting enough water, nursing often (ideally whenever she wants to for as long as she needs to), and watch wet diapers. As long as she has 8 wet diapers a day, she's getting enough.

If you're already doing all this, and it still seems to be a problem, it could be something in your diet that may be upsetting her tummy. However, that usually causes other symptoms like gas, rashes, and so on.

Try the CafeMom La Leche League group (on the groups page search for La Leche League). You can ask all the questions you want and get lots of experienced, accurate help and advice.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• thanks for the advice
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• JUST drink lots of water, stay away from pop,coffee,ect. and feed on demand, and you should be fine. just make sure she has more the five wet diapers a day. This happend to me and my daughter at first, she ate like every hour, to two hours every time she was gowing threw a growing spirt. no worries :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 5:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• she eats every hour to two hours all the time but the other day something hurt so bad in my breast that it hurt to the touch and now i feel like low milk supply because now she sucks and she cries and screams and gives the little face and it makes me feel bad. I feel like maybe my milk supply is down.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Pretty much what the others have said feeding on demand and drinking enough. You should also make sure you are getting enough fat, unless you are dehydrated drinking more fluids will not increase supply. Flax seed oil helps increase milk so does brewers yeast and mothers milk tea.

Good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You may have had mastitus, your supply is fine if baby has enough wet diaper...6-8 wet or messy diapers daily, then supply is fine, never base supply on how a baby acts...they act starved often and its growth spurts. Getting diapers then baby is fine and so is supply.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• She may be going through a growth spurt. The best thing I found for handling that was to follow Dr. Sears' advice and do a "bed-in" I'd snuggle with DS in bed for a day or two - let the laundry, errands, whatever else you can go. When I had two kids, I'd snuggle with both of them (and I'd let the older one watch a lot of TV for those days). Pretend your sick. Go skin to skin. NURSE A LOT. Offer it all of the time, and your supply will go through the roof - plus you'll get some rest. GL!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2009