• In the Spotlight:

Would you take your autistic son to a preschool open gym to get out some of his energy?

My son is 20 months old and I found a preschool gymnastics gym that holds open gym for kids aged 18 months to 3. I'm thinking about taking him. I'm hoping it will help him learn to take turns and it will give him something to look forward, too. In the open gym I can be there with him so nothing major will happen if he freaks out over it. I just want him to have something to do other than therapy appointments.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• That would be great for him. You should take him on a regular basis, maybe it'll help him developmentally and with coordination and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Go for it! I hope that he has fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes I would if I could afford it. I have three autistic boys. But yes go for it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I think it's a great idea.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Definitely!
    Aplatel87

Answer by Aplatel87 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Wow! That's the 1st time I've gotten all yeses! He'll be going Monday! Wish us luck! =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes, PLease take him. It will be good for him to be around other children and socialize.
    Deesma21

Answer by Deesma21 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• A super idea!!!!! Actually that takes care of more than one issue. You will give him the opportunity to run off some energy, and also socialize with his peers. You may find a special friend for him and a mom who you might want to set up a playdate with for further interactions. Are you planning on staying with him for the first few sessions to make sure he does what the teacher asks. Working on following a teacher directed activity.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• That's the great part about it LovetoTeach247...since it's open gym it's just for the kids to go play with everything to see if they like it. It isn't really a class. Which is great because he freaks out if anyone other than me touches him. So maybe if I help him and he gets the hang of it he won't mind other people helping him as well.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2009