Does any1 out there hv a daughter that has urinary reflux?

My daughter has urinary reflux she gets alot of uti's its when the urine backs up in2 the kiddneys n comes bk out and i dnt no any1 who has it or has a child that has it n id like 2 no more about it shes seeing 2 different specialists about it but id like 2 no what other parents hv experience some of the things that we r experiencing it is very stressful she is sick w a fever every couple of weeks n they keep finding bacteria in her urine or blood.

proudmommyof311

Asked by proudmommyof311 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i had that when i was growing up and im parinoid taht my dd has it...shes prone to uti to but so far they havent found a reason im hopeing her dr refers her to a uroglist...i had to drink cranberry juice all the time and take cranberry gel caps when i was old enough to take pills. btw most kids wont drink straight cranberry. i buy cranberry mixed with something else. she should drink it 2-3 cups a day i have my dd on this regimind of drink cran apple 2 cups a day to help prevent thie uti. try this and see if it helps..also what kind of meds r they putting her on?...i always had to take bactrim and augementin for mine and the dr had to jump start it with a round of iv meds befor i went home
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My middle DD used to have this. She took cranberry regularly and drank the juice a lot. She went on a daily antibiotic to prevent infections, plus a medicine to reduce the amount of urine produced, and Flomax to decrease bladder spasms. This therapy continued for almost two years, and they repeatedly tested her to determine the degree of reflux. They said if it reached a certain severity they would do surgery, but otherwise since most kids grow out of the problem the main thing was to keep infections to a minimum to prevent damage. She grew out of it, but now even at 10 1/2 she bedwets sometimes and leaks. They said the muscles around the urethra have to be retrained because the chronic infections mess up their ability to sense when they need to pee. But really, how do you explain Kegal exercises to a 10 y/o, lol. If you have any more questions just pm me.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My 4 year old has the same problem. We found out about it when she was around 6 months she kept getting high fevers. Its been a nightmare she just turned 4 in June we had to take her to a Chicago children's hospital to get retested I prayed it was gone during the recent test we were watching the screen them boom she has 2 streams instead of just 1 that shoots back. I cried. The Dr says if she has it next summer they can do the surgery to correct it. She takes a daily antibiotic sulfameth trimethoprim. We have to measure it just right we can not spare a drop my daughter is a typical kid she will spit it out mess around so she wont get the full dose then the insurance company wont refill it early. Even if she goes a few days without the antibiotic she stops eating, gets a high fever were off to emergency. Its a battle I understand what your going through.

AmeriplanNSD

Answer by AmeriplanNSD at 4:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009