For those of you who had c-sections because the baby measured too large..

Was it true?

My mom had a c-section early because they said my sister was about 9 pounds..she was born 5p3o..

I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 6:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No c-sect but I was induced for that reason...I will never again be induced unless it's medically necessary.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine was medically necessary so I'm glad I did it, but I wish I had the chance to deliver spontaneously.

Was the baby large?
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 6:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My baby was 7lbs. 13 oz....guess i have a small pelvis b/c she got stuck and was a conehead when she came out...it's not so much about the weight but how wide the pelvis is to let the baby out....mine did get stuck and I had a c-section which I liked and everything turned out fine:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had a c-section from doc thinking she'd be close to 10lbs, she was 7lbs 3oz.. and even at that size he said it didn't seem she'd fit
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 7:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had a c section due to concerns about the size of my son - he was 8 lbs, 1 oz. His older brother was 8 lbs, 9 oz and had to have his shoulder broken to get him out of me - there was no way I was going through that again. My two middle children were induced 2 weeks early each due to concerns about their size (2 wks early they were 7 lbs, 11 oz and 7 lbs, 7 oz), but the hospital now has strict rules about elective inductions before 39 weeks, so I had a csection with my youngest instead of induction. I am glad I had it done.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Actually, mine was kinda backwards from this. We thought my daughter was mesuring on the large side of normal. I was induced because i was developing high blood pressure and was only a week and a half til my due date. During labor DD's heart rate completely dropped off the monitors so we did and emergency C-Section ( I mean, like, a super emergency C-Section, no time for an epidural, I was put to sleep) When they got my daughter out and revived her, they realized that she was so big, she had been crushing her own cord and had blocked off her oxygen. She weighed in at 9 lb. 11 oz. No one had any idea she was going to be that big!
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• hmm.my DD weighed 9 pounds 6 ounces and i delieverd her vaginally. but they did do a C section on my sister and her DS was a couple ounces less than my DD
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 12:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• like I said it has to do with the mother's physical makeup...some women can deliver a 10 lb. baby no problem...others cant push out a 6 pounder...it's in your pelvis and the width of the bone.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:25 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well I didn't have a c-section, but the day I delivered my son they did an ultrasound to check and make sure he was not still breech and they said he was "well over 9 lbs" and he came out 7 lbs 1 ounce about 3 hours later. With my daughter about 2 weeks before she was born they told me she was "well over 9 lbs too" and I laughed at them. She was 7 lbs 11 ounces. Ultrasound weights are plus or minus 20%!!!! So I never put much stock in them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i didn't. but having a c/s bc of a "big baby" is not a reason. yes, some people can't birth "big babies", but you will not know if a person can or cannot until she's pushing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009