Going to new school that seem the same as another... Does reputaions matter?

Both are vocational type one is Remington and the other is Everest, I am going for Medical assisting. Both take the same amount of time to complete and both cost the same. The only thing swaying me is that Everest has a surgical tech program I really want to get into eventually and the credits would transfer. That program is 2 years and i cant wait that long. The medical assisting program is 8 months. I have to support my son asap so thats the only reason I want to do medical assisting. What do I do?

GoddessHeatherM

Asked by GoddessHeatherM at 6:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• But I dont have the time for pre requisites. We are about to get kicked out our home. I need money now.... I thought a certificate was a certificate no matter where you got it?
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 6:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You should discuss this with a couple of area hiring managers, to see how they feel about the school you are attending.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• ok i got it
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 6:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Two of my sisters went to Herzig College for lab tech courses. I'm not sure if it's for profit, but it seems like what you were talking about. Anyway, both had jobs right out of school, and several years later are still employed and enjoying their jobs, both in labs at reputable hospitals. But I agree that if you can, contact the places you'd be applying to after you were done and see what their take on the school/course is and go from there. If they wouldn't look at you from there, then I wouldn't waste the time and money.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

Next question in
When do your children go back to school?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
NAMES!