Hostility to Christians Becoming Endemic?

Incidents wherein Christians are being silenced or punished for adhering to their beliefs are on the rise, while anti-Christian hate speech is tolerated in the public square to an alarming degree. Examples abound in the worlds of business and academia. Have you heard of the AT&T Incident? The company had asked all of its employees to sign a "certificate of understanding" that would commit them to "fully recognize, respect, and value the differences among all of us...[including]..."sexual orientation." Albert Buonanno, a devout Baptist, told his supervisor that he had no intention of discriminating against or harassing homosexuals. However, he felt that he could not honorably sign the statement because he believed that it contradicted his Biblical faith. Buonanno was fired the next day. CONT BELOW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course not because he would have went running and throwing a fit because he was fired and I'm sure that his claims of unlawful dismissal wouldn't be about the damn paper either...

I am so sick of hearing how homosexuals are so picked on... like everyone in the worls has nothing better to do than slam and pick on them... I swear!!!

Oh and just for the record... you need to figure out what hate speech and slurs really are...what my mom and aunt have posted was neither of those...

FREEDOM OF SPEECH is a wonderful thing... I have never seen my mom or aunt come on here and say that the homosexuals need to be harmed or that they HATE them... I have seen them say that they do not and will not condone the sin... and that my friend is in the bible!!! Many of you have said it yourself... They have the right to oppose what goes against God... GET OVER IT
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 4:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• CONT ABOVE - This is a clear case of an individual being required to choose between violating his religious beliefs, and losing his job. Do you think that had the employer asked the employees to "fully recognize and respect the rights of everyone, including homosexuals, to work in an environment free of discrimination and harassment," then Buonanno would have readily signed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• GOOD FOR AT&T.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• ALL it was saying is that HE BRUNO WOULD NOT harass anyone for their beliefs or sexual orientation. OBVIOUSLY the guy could NOT comply with being human towards people NOT like him. I may switch carriers just because a company is standing up to HATE.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Bruno, I should have said Buonanno. My apologies for the name mix up

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• so what OP. We see other CM's on here displaying their hate and disgust towards those folks that are not christian as well as their ill will on gays. its about damn time a company set their foot down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yep, if he could not agree to those terms than I do not know why they would have kept him on staff. He was not asked to give up his beliefs, to turn homosexual, to denounce God, he was aked to sign something that said he would be tolerant of others. If he is a Christian then he should have obided by The Golden Rule, and realised that to accept and value others is the ultimate act of love
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If his faith doesn't allow him to respect to other people then he should be fired.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• WAY TO GO AT&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE SHOULD BE NO ROOM FOR SOMEONE IN ANY COMPANY, WHO CANNOT RESPECT THEIR FELLOW EMPLOYEES. THEY ARE FIRST AND FOREMOST HUMAN BEINGS!

Answer by older at 7:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Gee, this sounds familiar. All I'm going to say this time is I bet Jesus would have signed the paper, and not out of fear of losing his job either.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009