what type of schooling do you hope to do for your LO? what type do you do? would you chose something different if it could work for you? private/home/public

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in

• Private school for my son.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I want to do home schooling for my son... I think the whole 7-8 hours a day in school is ridiculous for a young child and its more day care than school at that point.

I wouldnt do home school if i didnt have the time
    I would do non-religious private school
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids are in public school. They're in a good school, and I don't feel I'm qualified to really teach them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• im home schooling my 5.5 and 4 yr olds this year and if i couldn't home school i would do private school for them
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids go to public school. The pros are that they aren't sheltered from the "real" world and will grow up learning to defend their beliefs and views. The con is that they, well, aren't sheltered from the real world! It is hard sometimes talking about the things they are exposed to that I would NEVER want them to be at their ages (sex, bad words, etc.).

We live out in the boonies so this is our only real option, except homeschooling of course, which is always in the back of my mind. I would consider homeschooling if the public school ever got really bad for any reason.

In my ideal world, I would send them to a private Christian school. But the only one near us has horrible academics and I'm not going to let their education suffer for a better environment.

What school to choose is a really tough, and personal, decision.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 8:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I homeschool my kids - 5 & 11. They AREN'T sheltered from the "real" world. In fact, they're quite involved in the "real" world. I homeschool because our local public schools are awful academically & they can't meet the needs of my kids. I don't want them to attend a religious school, so private schools here aren't an option.
    I would consider sending them to public school if there was a public school that could meet my high academic standards & was able to meet the needs of my kids (both gifted & have ADHD and one also has Bipolar). I would consider a private school if it met my high academic standards, could meet my kids' needs, and was secular. Since that will never happen, we'll stick with homeschooling.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 10:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Homeschooling, IMO isn't for me. My sister is a teacher, has been for 17 yrs and she loves her job. As I have said in past posts, she doesn't do it for the money, she does it for the chance to make a difference in childrens lives... And as others have said I'm not qualified to teach our children. I also want them to have the interaction with children of all ages, as well as learning independence. I am happy with the public school they are going to and don't really care what anyone else does.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I homeschool, and I'm very glad that we do. We learn new things together, and he's thriving. Oh, and VERY social, for the HS critics.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I send my kids to public school and it's great! My oldest has autism and the only private school around here for him is $40,000/year which is kinda out of our price range, so he HAS to go to public and once I got him into it I found I really like it. The schools, particularly in our area of our county are excellent. My dh and I both graduated from highschools in this general area and received really good educations, I'm happy with my kids curriculum, and I go over their homework with them every night to make sure they're understanding it.

Answer by missanc at 9:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I asked my son what he would want to do if he had a choice. He is going into 4th grade. He knows I could teach him as I have a teaching cert. but he told me he would miss his friends. He loves his school. He wouldn't be happy in homeschool. He is now taking trumpet lessons and as I stated in another post we don't have the money for private lessons so he would miss out on this and other experiences. I know that he is learning things that I am not ready to deal with but at least I can guide him. He has great teachers, the communciation I have with the school is great, and it has alot of family activities throughout the school year. I wouldn't change.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2009