What can I use to keep the flies from chewing on my dogs ears?

I have an outside dog...I have used the fly-off as well as vasaline but he keeps rubbing it off...We also live on a farm so the flies are really bad. His ears are all chewed up but if he won't keep the ointment on then I don't know what else to do for him....Any suggestions?

sourmom2

Asked by sourmom2 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Well, hopefully your dog has a dog house and I would keep a bug repellent in the yard, like a lamp or something close by...
    I dont see how your dog could be rubbing it off, make sure you are rubbing it into his fur and not just leaving it wet as this could be harmful if he licks it, or any other product.
    One cheap remedy is diaper ointment, one that has zinc oxide in it...
    Also, try spraying the fly off on his back and neck but avoid his eyes and mouth.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure what other options, but we use repellent wipes to wipe her down and give her a treat or bone to keep her occupied while doing so.
    Mariaej24

Answer by Mariaej24 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i think up north it's farm and fleet...not sure how close you are to one of those..but they make a spray for horses for flies...i would talk to someone at the store about using it on your dog!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• asorbine (sp) a fly spray for farm animals can also be used on dog it suppose to protect ur animals for up to three weeks...i use this on my horse...for my dog i just use triple anitibotic ointment and put it on twice a day for the wounds that r cause by the bugs and i spray him with this stuff...please read the direstions befor applying
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You will need:
    Rubber gloves
    spray bottle
    SWAT salve
    skin-so-soft (by AVON)

My cowdog had the same problem last summer, and it was such a pain trying different remedies to get it healed back up! Go to your farm and home store, TSC, Orschelns, or a regular feed store and get a product called Swat. It is a salve that will keep the wound moist so it can heal, and at the same time it kills flies on contact. You'll apply it and want to a few times a day, but make sure it's rubbed in. Once the wound has healed, Mix a 1/4 solution of Skin-So-Soft/ water and spray it on as necessary close to the skin (not just on the hair), after you put 2 capfuls in a bath for him. He will smell like the foo-fooey stuff, but it's oil based, so water and dirt won't rub it off.

I have tried the $60/gal fly sprays on my horses and cows, but nothing compares to SSS! I don't know what it is about it, but a bath in it will repel them for days!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• But with that $30 of product, you can heal the wound and prevent the pests that caused it from doing it again.

Good luck to you!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Use Listerine mouth wash not the fresh minty stuff but the regular medicine breath stuff. And if you put it on his haunches and scruff of his neck it will keep mosquitoes away too.
    Just dab a good amount on a cottonball and apply. You can also use it on your family as a mosquitoe repellant around ankles and neck it Really Works : )
    Hundrey

Answer by Hundrey at 1:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• We live on a farm too. I have four corgis. Aside from trying to bathe them as often as I can in flea bath I have this stuff called Pet-Guard insecticide gel,made by a company called Virbac animal health. It has sun screen in it too. You can use it on dogs,cats and horses. I just rub it on the tips of their ears. You have to use quite a bit of it and it does wera off too. It does work though and well. I get it at our vets office but you probably could find it on the net some place too.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• YOU can use Cedarcide spray - all around the yard, bedding and his body, too.

Critter oil is also very safe and helpful...

NuVET wafer supplements also help to keep bugs and even fleas away - they hate the smell and taste of a Healthy dog...

SEE here : links to suggestions:  Diatomaceous Earth powder

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/7/fleas-use-diatomaceous-earth.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 11:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2009