Anybody write for a newpaper or have any experience in writing for a newpaper?

please explain with some detail what requirements you had to meet, etc

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have freelance written for several newspapers. There is a difference between requirements for a staff writer, and freelancer, which do you mean?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Im not sure. That i guess was some of the questions I have but didnt know how to express.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well, as a freelancer the requirements are pretty simple. You just need to be able to write to the paper's audience. You need to be clear & concise, & you need to be able to write with little editing. You also need to be able to meet deadlines.

If you have an idea what you want to write, send a query letter to the appropriate editor, with clips of previously published work. If you don't have published clips, send a sample article or column for them to look at. Your query letter should be 1 page, explaining what you want to write, & why you're the 1 to write it. Remember the newspapers don't pay a lot, but they are a great place to get started.

As far as getting a staff position. They generally want a college degree for writing positions, although you can get an office position & move up without one, & can occasionally get a staff position if you're already well published. If I can help more pm me.

Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thank you "ohwrite" that was very insightful and makes since, I just didnt know how to go about it all. Im wanting to write. I have book project in mind, but felt that I needed some experience. A janitors position would be very nice...LOL Seriously!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2009