9 month old having to take hormones?

I just found out today that my lil niece is having to take hormones bc she isn't developing down there. I asked my sister what that meant and she said that lil lana closed up and the doctor had to pull her apart. I have never heard of this happening. Should my sister get a second opinion? This just makes no sense to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't care how much I trust my doctor. If he ever said that about my daughter I would be getting other opinions. That makes me cringe just thinking about it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• pull her apart??!! that sounds soo painful. i think i would want a second opinion because that just seems so harsh. i've never actually heard of a 9 month old needing to take hormones. definitely get a second opinion. good luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm just worried about my niece bc my sister doesn't know to question drs. I told her she should get a second opinion but she trust her dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• there are hormone creams they put down there and yes its called a labial adhesion...
    here's info on it
    http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5892,00.html

from that site
    Labial adhesion, also referred to as labial agglutination, occurs in children when the inner vaginal lips (labia minora
    ) fuse to each other.

and

Methods of treatment
    When treatment is necessary, a small amount of estrogen cream, sold by prescription
    , can be gently rubbed onto the area of fusion twice a day
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• tabi: thank you for that information, but I think I would still ask for another opinion because he pulled her apart ... that sounds painful for me, that had to be painful for a 9 month old.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• well yeah no problem with asking for a 2nd opinion, he shouldn't have pulled it apart, but he may have not known better, just like some doctors think you should pull the foreskin back on a Uncirc penis. If it was stuck together the cream will help and it is a real condition...the doctor did the wrong thing but doesn't mean the diagnosis is wrong...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• heres more info
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_labial-adhesion_12464.bc
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My daughter had a fused labia and we used an estrogen cream. My cousin's daughter had to have hers clipped b/c it was continuing to fuse. Pulling apart is painful but so is cutting it and the adhesion itself is dangerous as it can lead to infections. And it's not that your niece isn't developing properly.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2009