how much do they eat?

Ok my baby boy was just born monday and we have been feeding him 1 0z but he has been acting like he wants more how much are you supposed to feed a newborn and when do you up the oz's?

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 8:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my DD was eating almost 3 oz before she even left the hospital. If he is still acting hungry then feed him more.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 8:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son was taking 2 oz of formula 3 days old through a supplemental feeding tube while I was bfeeding, so he was getting more than 2 oz b/c it was mixed with what breastmilk I was able to produce at that time. I'm not sure about upping the amount from there b/c I was able to switch completely to bfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• supposedly the size of a babys stomach is about the size of a 50 cent piece but i know my newborn was breastfeeding and taking an additional 1.5 oz of formula so it depends on the baby

if hes hungry just feed him it wont hurt him

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was told to feed on command, start with 2 oz and if he can digest it without spitting it up then you could try another oz.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thanks ladies this is my 2nd but my first ds is 2 1/2 lol
    xaviersmamacita

Answer by xaviersmamacita at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Feed on demand. You feed as much, as often as they want/need it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• This is what we did, Make a 4oz bottle and see what he eats. If he eats 2 oz then fed two oz next time. You may waste just a bit of formula with that one bottle but you can judge better for next time. When they are that young, they will stop when they are full. And like some of the others have said, feeding on demand works really well. They are going through A LOT of growing these first couple of months and need everything that their little bodies want. Congrats on the new baby. What did you name him?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Wow my daughter must have been a piglet! lol my daughter was being breastfed but i did pump alot first day out of the hospital i pumped and she drank 4oz in one sitting how ever she was a BIG baby and took her sweet time drinking it.
    MyTrinity

Answer by MyTrinity at 11:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thanks Ladies and his name is Damian andrew =)
    xaviersmamacita

Answer by xaviersmamacita at 12:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm pretty sure unless the baby is breastfed, you should not feed on demand. (And you feed on demand with an exclusively breastfed baby because it helps your supply maintain and a baby knows how to get the milk out. Sometimes babies just want to comfort nurse and won't get any milk out) I'm not exactly sure how many ounces of formula you should be feeding, because I only breastfed my kids (well, I'm still breastfeeding my 11 month old). You should really call the pedi and ask. All of the previous posters babies are different from yours and different from your baby's stomach. I would assume two ounces at a time, but I'd ask.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 14, 2009