Changing your self

My friends and i talk about this all the time... I kno lots of women that bleach even some men. What do you think about women bleaching their skin to be lighter or whiter?
And if you think its wrong....

What about women tanning... To me its the same. its changing your self... just like tummy tuck, lipo, or face lift

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I think it's wrong. God made each one of us the way we're supposed to be. Bleaching skin is harmful as is tanning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Personally I think people should be able to do what they want with their bodies. I don't tan and I'm like Casper white, but I can tell you this: God may have made me beautiful....when I was 18, but two kids made me need a tummy tuck and a boob job. I haven't done either....yet, but I miss my freakin perky boobs!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think skin whitening is a bit deeper than tanning. Tanning is a temporary fad, to want to lighten your skin to me is a sign of self hatred. Many races treat lighter children better or see them more beautiful than darker children. A lot of men of color also put lighter women on a pedestal. I mean just look at tv all the pretty daughters on sitcoms are light while the rest of the family is dark. Its a deep emotional racial thing. not as simple as a nose job to me.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I wasn't even thinking of the racial issue. But then again, I'm sure that is because I am white. You are right though, there have been a lot of psychological studies on that subject and for some reason the ideal person in most people (of most races) had distinctly European features and lighter skin. European features meaning a less broad nose and so on and so forth. Personally I think that's sad. But again, I haven't had to deal with a lot of issues that a lot of people from other cultures have had to deal with. Good point KayLundy3.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Tyra did a show about mothers who bleach their young children. The mothers had convinced their children that fairer skin is more beautiful. THAT is very sad and IMO, emotional/physical abuse. As an adult, you should be free to make whatever choice you want about your own body. I personally think that our world is beautiful b/c we have so many different people in it. I also sympathize with the folks who have had to deal with teasing b/c they don't fit the image that our society has portrayed as "beauty". The poor girls who starve themselves to be stick-thin, the ladies who are insecure with a smaller breast b/c we are taught by the media that "big boobs" are sexy, lighter skin is more attractive, and so on. If there is something someone truly wants to change about themselves, they should do it for their own personal satisfaction...But not b/c they are insecure about how the world might perceived them.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009