My daughter won't eat and has diarrhea - any ideas??

Sorry for TMI....

I believe this started on Monday or Tuesday. My daughter is almost 2 and has had close to NOTHING in the appetite department which is extremely unusual for her. Even things she normally loves, she barely touches this week. She's had diarrhea several times a day - watery most of the time, but tonight it was that seedy looking yellow stuff that newborns poop. My husband suggested that it could be because she's only been drinking milk and not eating much of anything. I've been giving her milk for most meals (even though she typically drinks water with lunch and dinner) since she's not been eating. I don't want to deprive her of nutrition. I know she's teething, but her lack of appetite and incessant diarrhea is what concerns me a bit.

I think I'll call the pediatrician tomorrow to see if they know of anything this could be, but I was wondering if you ladies had any advice first. Anyone know what this could be?

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We were told that giving milk when having diarhea actually aggrivates the diarhea. Don't worry about depriving her for a few days. But we were told to give nothing but pedialite until the diarhea slows up. But that is for my baby that is a year, not close to 2. The pedi will tell you what to do.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Depending on your area the weather (heat) can cause this... contact your dr. and start giving her pediacare to drink... this will help with the dehydration problem and keep something on her tummy...but call your dr...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• use pedialite. when my daughter was sick the doctor gave me a list of things to feed her to stop her diareha
    Bananas
    Rice
    Applesauce (not juice)
    and Mashed potatoes (perferably not instant)
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 9:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When my son was about 18mo. old, he had rotavirus and had diarrhea and vomiting for a while. I know he did not eat for about 5 days, but did drink water and pedialite. That kept him from becomming dehydrated. I know it can be scarry when your child does not eat. As long as she is drinking something that will relpenish her electrolytes she should be okay. I would still call her Dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the responses, ladies...

I haven't pulled out the applesauce yet, but she's not eating any of the other "BRAT diet" foods. (My pediatrician recommends toast over mashed potatoes, but either way...she's not going for it.)

She's my 3rd child, so I know what most of the textbook answers are about how to STOP the diarrhea, but what I'm really looking for is a reason why she has it to begin with.

Thanks to the PP who mentioned the heat. Unfortunately, it's been pretty cool here lately (around 80, which is cool for August! lol) and the one day she was outside a lot this week was the only day she DIDN'T have diarrhea all day.

*Sigh*
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son had that a couple weeks ago too. Our doctor even told us what would happen to his poop ie.) What color and texture it would be as he goes through the sickness.
    The biggest thing for us was cutting out the milk and the dairy products. But if that's the only thing she is drinking then cutting out the milk might not be a good idea.

Anyway they never said exactly what was wrong with our son- just something that he picked up while we were out and about. We tried feeding our son dried rice mixed with cinnamon and sugar. It's something my Grandma and my mom did because rice absorbs liquid.

I think I win the most unhelpful answer of the year award. Hopefully your daughter will get better soon!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2009