rice cereal

have any of you ever given your 6 week old a few spoonfuls ofrice cereal? Im trying to get a little break for my nipples because my DS is always so hungry that i get only about 20 minutes between feedings sometimes. Hes already gained 3lbs in the 6 weeks hes been here and the dr says hes just a big eater but unfortunately that means never-ending breastfeeding for me so im thinking maybe give him a few spoons of cereal like my MIL told me, anyone go through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not do it, his system is not ready to digest solids yet, it could give him severe tummy aches and gas, feedings also dont hold them over longer. I know what you mean about feeding every 20 min. my son was the same way early on. It did level out.

Do you limit his feedings? Do you feed off one breast or both per feeding?
    You can let him feed longer.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It's not going to do what you think it will do. There are fewer calories. It will fill his stomach a little longer until it digests, but then he will be hungrier than before because he lost all those calories he needs to grow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would ask a doc, i dont see why you couldnt give him cereal, as long as you keep breast feeding him, my doct had no problem with rice cereal.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP here - i feed him for as long as he wants and when he breaks the latch i give him the other breast and i feed him till he falls aslep and breaks the latch again- there are even times where i have to give him anywhere from 2 to 4 oz of formula at night just to get him to fall asleep for me- its like at night when i try to breastfeed him hell cry while hes sucking like his mad he cant get any milk- so ill give him the formula and hell fall right to sleep and stay asleep for a good 3 hours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I personally would not do it yet. My 3rd son always wanted to eat and would if i let him. I agree with the prev. posters, ask his pediatritian. I never believed in pacifiers, but that is the ONLY way i could stop my son from always being on my breasts. I gave him the ortho ones and he did fine with them. He did not become confused like some people think. He is now 15mo. and has been off the paci for a while now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. You will be harming his digestive system by giving him rice cereal. See www.kellymom.com for more info.

You may not be "finishing the first breast breast first." When a baby is allowed to feed at one breast for a long time he will get all the high fat hind milk. If he still isn't hungry then he can have the other breast. If you limit the time per breast then the baby doesn't get the high fat milk and feel satisfied.

You could be thinking he is wanting to eat and feeding him when he doesn't need to eat. Some new mothers don't know what to do when their baby fusses so they stick a boob in the baby's mouth. They end up with a 35 pound baby at a year.

Babies that feed often and only get the foremilk can gain a lot because they are overeating and never feeling satisfied. You might try feeding on one breast only a feeding and see how that works.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:17 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Babies can't overeat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• just supplement with formula sometimes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Quote: "just supplement with formula sometimes."

Reply: I totally agree,DO NOT be giving the poor thing any cereal, thats ridiculous and the person that told you so needs shooting, the baby is hungry, and you're doing your job as you should, but if its getting inconvenient then supplement with formula. And i'd report the silly person who advised you to give a 1 and a half month old cereal just to bulk up a feed!!! Thats shocking!!!
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I now how you feel I also have a six week old son and he is the exact same way, He eats all the time. I am lucky to get a break to eat or even go to the bathroom lol! i tried to give him fice ceral really diluted with breastmilk all he did was throw it up when he was done. Don't get me worng he loved it. Liked it off the spoon like it was the greatest. his ped said it was Ok to give it to him, because he allready holds his own head up.It did really give me any breaks though he still wants to eat. I havn't given him any since, Its all about how he is and if he is ready for it. People shouldn,t be so mean they don't know his development, He may be more than others, It's not wrong to feed your child cereal earlier than others, Good luck! And there are other mothers going through the same thing just hang in there I know it's hard. I know first hand
    msaltmomof2

Answer by msaltmomof2 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009