For EVERYONE...

Do you think your religion has the right to run our country? Do you feel your religion should be the one and only in America, (or name your country), and that all others should be prosecuted, and made to change?

I've seen some people that seem to think this way, and it's disturbing to say the least.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In answer to the question...I think a theocracy would be disastrous.

On a side note, sometimes when people claim America was founded upon religion (namely Christianity) their reasoning is it's because the Declaration of In. mentions God. But the Declaration was written before the establishment of our lawful government, the U.S. Constitution, which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

It's also important to note the Treaty of Tripoli, written at the end of Washington's last term in 1796.

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen..."  it goes on further, but you can get the picture.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• obviously NO, I don't think my beliefs should run our country. I believe in FREEDOM.. which means freedom of religion.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well, I don't believe in one "right"religion, so no.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I do not think My religion nor any other has any right to rule over people. I think religion is a personal matter of faith and has no business in any form of governing authority.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• peeking

lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No. I believe that religions are just apart of the 3 R's that control a person's life. Religion, Rules, and Rituals. I do not think that there is anything wrong with these because if they are used as a giude that can be really great and comforting for most people. However, they shouldn't dictate someone's life. We all should look to ourselves for what we believe in rather than borrowing beliefs from anyone else.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 9:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It wont be religion ruling the people ever. It will be more of the Kingdom of Heaven ruling the earth. The Kingdom of Heaven will be based on Love, Mercy , Grace and FREEDOM.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• NO, NO and NO !!!!!! Religion is a personal decision period, and it should not dictate our GOVERNMENT'S LAWS..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• NO! NO! and NO! I believe every person deserves to worship (or not) according to his/her conscience.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Nah. What I believe isn't right for everyone. Not everyone can sit pretty with nonbelief.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009