bug spray on a 3 month old?

i do not want to use bug spray on my 3mo old DD. however, we are going camping (in a travel trailor on a camp site) with my SOs family. we can't sit in the travel trailor camper thing the whole weekend, all the activities are outside. are there natural alternatives to horrible bugsprays for babies?

also, i don't really want to take her on the beach because of the sun on her skin, and sand mites, and crap in the water. maybe i could walk her around on the beach at night? how early did you take your baby to the beach? am i being irrational?

honeybee429

Asked by honeybee429 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took mine to the beach with a big umbrella at 5 months, and as for the spray you can spray it on their clothing, that usually works the best. Its the smell that keeps the bugs away, if they smell it they won't land on you or him. Its not good to put that stuff on baby's skin because they have absorbent skin. So no hun, you are not being irrational, actually the very opposite. :)

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• avon lotion - the original skin so soft scent is FANTASTIC for acting as a bug repellant. thats what I use.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was just about to make a point about the avon skin so soft stuff, but see someone else has used it. I totally agree with hypermamaz, its great stuff, kind on skin and is exactly what we used on our BBG when she was a wee 'un.
    It smells really nice not like bug spray and its a moisturizing oil too, so good all round.
    Just a further bit of info on it, when we lived in England, we used it as big repellent on the horses, hahaha! Works all round!
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You can ask your pediatrician for safe things to use. I asked my sons pediatrician what was safe to use (because we too went camping when my son was only around 3-4 months old) and he gave me a sample of some stuff it wasn't bug spray but it worked just wish I could remember the name of it. Skin so soft as another mom suggested is also another option just be sure not to put it on her hands and also if possible you could find those little mesh cover things for carseats/strollers that you can keep over her most of the time to keep bugs away and also helps keep them cool
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• spray it on there clothing. my son was about 4 months when i went to the beach we had an umbrella and had cold rags on him troughout the day
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009