Do you think that if you and SO/DH split up that because you carried your child for 9 months and went through pain that you should be the only one that child spends holidays with?

Someone in a previous question really has this selfish train of thought

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Parenting

• Absolutely not. I know from experience through my sisters and their children that even though their ex's are not in the pictures their children still like to spend holidays with their fathers at times. They should share holidays. The child may resent the mother later for it. I would say there are exceptions for dads who are not a good parent and the child does not like going over there. But always give the father a chance. Don't punish the child because of it.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think that you are making a mountain out of a molehill and are picking on a new mother for how she feels at the moment....get over it. Just because she may feel that way doesn't mean you have to. If you talk to someone who is vegan do you have to change your ways to be like them? If you walk past someone who has their hair dyed purple and orange will you go home to do the same?
    Maybe you are having a bad day and just need to pick on someone you don't even know over the internet (very classy)...but you need to get a hobby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• anon 9:34, the statement in general is BULL, its selfish and no mother should be THAT SELFISH. It WILL only hurt the child in the long run. And it may also hurt mother/child relationship

to op: Every father deserves holidays! but there are the rare exceptions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i didnt say my kid should be with him at all on holidays, but i want him to wake up with me on christmas morning, every morning. my parents were split up when i was younger, and sometimes i had to go to my dads house and sleep over on xmas eve and i hated it. i was more comfortable with my mom and thats where i wanted to be. but listen, this is just my opinion so you really dont need to bash me bitch =) i was just trying to tell you why the mother might act that way.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Go shove it you selfish bitch
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No I do not think that is fair. Because a child needs both parents in their life especially if both want to be and they are good for the child. IF my husband and I were to divorce we would both be civil with each other for our son health and well being. I would never take him away from my husband because my husband loves him and has cared for him as much as I have. I am not anymore special because i gave birth.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009