Fun & Different Potty Training Question

I know that a lot of you reward your child(ren) for actually going potty in the big boy/girl potty. So here's a 2 part question:

1)Are any of your children happy with just flushing the toilet as a reward?
2) If not, what do you reward them with?

My DS LOVES flushing the toilet. It's his favorite part. So that's how we reward him for going potty.

NickyJamesMom

Asked by NickyJamesMom at 9:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If that works then thats great!! I worked in daycare in a potty training room and I always used stickers. They got a little sticker for just trying, then they got a big sticker for actually going. Once they were going more frequently, the little stickers were for pee pee and the big ones were for poop (poop is usally harder for them to get used to). It worked great for me.
    Also I would put the stickers on a sticker chart, and once they got so many stickers on there they were able to pick out a prize from a "treasure chest". It was all simple dollar store toys, but they loved it!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We used the mini m&m's. You couldn't just go sit on the potty and get one. You had to deposit something into the potty. It worked great on 2 kids. The third is still too young to know.

I had one that didn't want to do number 2 on the potty, so we used to give him 2 m&m's for that for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I never really rewarded with anything. We would just cheer and clap and make a huge deal about it. It made them feel proud of themselves. It worked for us, since both of my girls were completely day time potty trained by 20 (my oldest) and 21 months.(my youngest)
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• YES! we used stickers for a week, now he loves flushing, so he's not even interested in the sticker anymore. But then since he was like touching the toliet, He HAD to wash his hands or I wasn't going to let him leave the bathroom So then I had to give him the sticker for washing his hands, not using the tolilet. LOL
    Deesma21

Answer by Deesma21 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My daughter LOVES flushing the toilet. So that is reward enough for her, but also I reward her with encouragement like saying "yay" and clapping my hands and calling her a "big girl".
    angie72983

Answer by angie72983 at 3:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes, My daughter that is 2 years and 3 months old ever since she was 18 months. *yes I know we are still potty training WTF anyway* we did candy for like the first week but was always more excited to Flush so I stopped doing the candy and we didn't have any set backs.  UNTIL we had our house fire.  Now we are slowly going into it AHHH

tdoubleday04

Answer by tdoubleday04 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009