Stupid Question (Possible TMI)

Ok so I'm 40w pregnant and they are talking about inducing me next week. I've gotten mild constipation the last couple of days and someone suggested prune juice as a natural way of helping with it. I don't want to take any drugs or anything for it! Anyways, I bought some and got it home, but then my mom freaks out and tells me I can't drink that while pregnant. Will it really hurt anything if I do or is she just being overly cautious? Now I'm scared to drink it lol!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you are being overly cautious. Just googled prune juice & pregnancy and found many different sources recommending it. If you are truly worried I'd call your doc tomorrow and ask about it. Did your mom give a reason for the warning?

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i dont think it will hurt anything...Ive never heard of prune juice being bad while preg.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I never heard of it being harmful while pregnant, but I didn't try it because I didn't drink it when I wasn't pregnant. Call your doctor/nurse and ask them what to take.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Oh, and I know that when babies get constipated, doctors suggest a little bit of cairo (light corn syrup) and a little bit of water. You could try that and see if it helps any.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• She said it would cause cramping and contractions, but I'm so close anyways to my due date I didn't think it would hurt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Any kind of laxative is going to cause cramping and possiabley contractions. prune juice won't hurt you or your baby. if you body/baby are ready for labor the most it will do is put you into labor but at 40 weeks i wouldn't worrie about it. I would be wanting baby out. And if you can do it with out being induced the better off you'll be.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Just call your OB/Midwife and ask them to make sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• YES YOU CAN DRINK IT. I actually was constipated at like 25 weeks and my doc told me that was the best way to help it, it will not harm your baby or make you go into labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You will have contractions anyway, so drink up mama...lol...you'll feel better.
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 10:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It won't hurt you.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 12:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2009