maternity coverage?

My husband and I are now thinking of our first child and looking into insurance options. Is it necessary to have maternity coverage? I am finding it very expensive and many insurance companies don't even offer it? How can we plan and afford this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Tiffany

PORTIA001

Asked by PORTIA001 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just pay for it. A kid is A LOT more EXPENSIVE than insurance

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• you should try to get maternity coverage or you'll be paying out of pocket everytime you go in.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm actually on the same search as you. Although it is expensive its very much worth it to have. I've called a million companies for quotes and although this isn't the cheapest per month in the end it is the cheapest out of pocket:: Blue Cross & Blue Shield. They have some really good plans but you have to have the maternity coverage for 30 days before you concieve
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The C-section rate in the US is skyrocketing (a discussion for another day) and is nearly 40%. Call local hospitals and ask what the average hospital bill is for a C-section.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2009