Anyone have advice on how to night-wean a 21 month old?

I don't mind nursing him to sleep, but he has been waking up 5+ times a night to nurse. If I am not in the position he likes now, he gets really upset and will start to cry if I don't hurry up and get to what he likes. I am not getting any sleep at all hardly. Usually between 4-6 hours a night and that's with waking for 15 minute intervals at a time throughout the whole night whenever he decided to nurse. He has went down to really only nursing for nap time and bed time in the day, but then once he's in bed, he seems to comfort nurse like crazy!! I know he's not hungry because it's not hunger suckles. It's more like hardly latched on to the end of my nipple. I will get chapped sore nipples because he will latch on completely wrong at night, and it's like he has a death grip with his mouth so I can't change it. He is a terrible sleeper period. Sometimes he won't nap at all. We do co-sleep. BOTTLES OR PACI'S ARE NOT AN OPTION!!!

Kristenn

Asked by Kristenn at 10:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i say you stop breast feeding, were you one of those mothers who wanted to do it until he was 5?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I didn't ask for a smart ass answer. Who gives a shit if I did? Don't get a coward and post anonymously. People come to these boards for help on what they WANT to do, not on what others think they should do. I didn't ask if you thought I should completely wean. If I wanted to do that, I would. Asking for help on something else.
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 10:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Sorry you had the smart ass "answer"! Most people just dont understand! Unfortunately I am no help. I am in the same boat as you, except with a 23 month old. She still nurses frequently! I need sleep like you don't know! lol. My older daughter was 2 1/2 when she finally weaned from night and day. She used to 'hold it'. That seemed to help her comfort. Maybe you could try that.
    IWantLotsOfKids

Answer by IWantLotsOfKids at 11:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Man, I've tried that! I've been trying to rock him and cuddle him and try to get him to just sleep and know that I'm here. He just seems to have to suckle to sleep. Idk what the deal is. I don't want to completely wean right now, just get him to nurse less ofter at night. Even if we could get it down to 2-3 times at night, that'd be awesome. But, it's every 30 minutes or so if not less.
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 11:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Have you tried looking at this kellymom page on nightweaning?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I night weaned my first at 17 months old and this is how I did it. I told him that nursing went to sleep too and it "slept" between 11 pm and 4 am at first. If he woke up then I gave a sippy with water. This first step took the longest, but after about 7 days he actually had 3 nights in a row that he didn't wake up so I just added another hour (now 11 pm to 5 am) and once we hit 3 days in a row of no waking with that I added another and so on until he was sleeping from 9 pm to 7 am without waking up. This worked great until his 2 year molars came in, but he was fine just getting a sippy with water when he woke up then and cuddled. We cosleep and self wean too. My youngest is still nursing at 26 months and because I am working now and she doesn't get free access during the day I have not night weaned her, but she typically only wakes up once throughout the night.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well I let my son self ween but he did that at 13 months but since he doesnt take a binky or anything then you will have to just gradually slow down how many times you nurse him cause babys naturally want something to suck on to sooth them and thats why my 2 yr old still has his binky cause we want him to self ween off of that as well which hes starting to do during the day. Its a choice you will have to make if its bothering you and can you cant get any sleep. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would think it would be really hard to night wean him while cosleeping, since what he wants is right there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2009