If your child pushed another into the dirt at the playground would you really be upset if the other child's mother got on to your child?

I saw this in another question and I saw mom's really getting mad saying "If you scold my child, I'll scold you."...But seriously? If a kid knocks down my kid I'm not going to scream at him or anything like that. But, I would let him or her know that pushing people down isn't very nice. Would you seriously get mad over that? My kid has autism and with that comes a few anger issues. So, if he hits or shoves someone around at the park I apologize to the child and make sure he or she is ok and then we leave. If I didn't get to him, I would fully expect the other kid's parent to say something to my kid. But, I'm always right there so that's just theoretical. So, would you get mad if someone asked your child not to do whatever they were doing because it negatively affected their child?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• theres a difference in saying it was wrong and screaming at someone elses child. id tell the child it wasnt nice then tell his or her parents. and id expect that back...but if someone is screaming at my child im gonna have to say something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Nope. Not at all. If my child does something to another child and I don't get to it in time, I would only HOPE the other parent would say something. I would if it were another child pushing my child in the dirt.
    Anonymous

• I pretty much say the same thing BUSYLOVINGHIM. =) I try to stay on the kids and the mom's nice side. lol! No need to start a debate over the swings or whatever.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It depends on the attitude of the mom. I would be upset if my child were screamed at or they physically tried to remove him, but a gentle reminder that we don't do that is more than appreciated!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• This one is a very touchy subject for me as my 2 and a half year old son got viciously attacked by an autistic 5 year old boy. I was waiting for him at the end of the slide and hell broke loose, I couldn't reach him on time, he got scratched, bitten, punch and strangulated. The autistic boy didn't let go of his neck so as the last resource not only did I yelled at him, I pulled him from the ankle down the slide, he came down still pulling my son by the hair. The mother of the autistic child got paralyzed by fear as she saw all the blood on my son. I was fuming and about to kill the other mom but she told me with tears in her eyes: "My son is autistic, he can't help himself". I told her: "I am deeply sorry and my heart aches with you as a mother but you knew your son needed close supervision and yet you decided to put my life's son in danger". "You know your son better than anybody in this world, why would you cont..
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• And that, bebita is exactly why I'm at arms reach of my kid at all times...and people think I'm being over protective.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I've dealt with this personally being the mother of the child getting picked on. We were at a play group at our local library and this one little boy kept picking on my daughter. She was 2 at the time and he was probably 4-5. It was little things like if she was heading toward a toy, he'd run ahead of her and move it away from her or actually take a toy out of her hands. DD is very laid-back, so it never really seemed to bother her, but it bothered me and it REALLY bothered me that his mother never said anything to him. Finally, one day, DD was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and this boy took the hood and pulled it completely over her face to where the entire back of it was being pulled over her head. He held her there like hat too. I looked at the mother who was chatting with a friend, so I crossed the room right in front of her, grabbed his arm, and told him in the most evil voice I could...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• …”Don’t you EVER touch my daughter again.” I then threw his arm down and went back to where I was sitting walking right back in front of his mother, who at this point was looking at me. Oh how I was daring her to say something to me. That was the last time we attended a play group at the library. I still get infuriated when I think about it.

I don’t think you should do/say something the first time something happens, but if it continues and the other parent doesn’t step in and take control of their child, then it is up to you to step in and at least take control of the situation.
    AllAboutKeeley

• cont.. why would you put him in a situation were other kid's lives were at risk?" It was a slide in a public place, her child has as much right to be there as mine does, they both need socialization. The problem I see is that she made a judgment call that almost cost my son his life. The aftermath? Night terrors, nervousness, tantrum regression, none verbal, I mean I went to the playground and I came back with a different child. Like I said, my heart understands why she needs to socialize her son and I give her kudos for that, what I can't overlook is that she passed her tab to us. Medical testing, therapies, interventions, I mean you name we went through it. I didn;t bargain for that when we went for what supposed to be a fun day at the park. Everything happened so fast, I took my son to the ER didn't take her name, her plates, she was a gost to us that left an inprint in our lives.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It wouldn't happen. My kids don't have aggressive behavior bc I don't teach them to push or hit so they don't do it to others. Children learn what they live. Quit hitting and pushing your kids and they wont do it to others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009